Event: Presenting your work: a half-day course in presentation skills
In this interactive and informative course, participants will explore the knowledge and skills needed to present their individual research and teaching projects creatively, authentically and with impact. The focus will be on presentation design and how creativity can unleash our potential to communicate and connect with any audience.
The Learning Lab, An Lochran, Inverness Campus or Video Conference
8 Remote access
à Add to Calendar
The session will explore issues around the following themes:
- Our audiences, their variety and what they need from us
- Preparing creatively with design thinking techniques
- Nerves and how to design for them
- Different presentation structures
- Designing questions and audience interaction and engagement
By the end of the workshop participants will have hopefully:
- Developed the creative confidence to prepare dynamic and effective presentations
- Learned about the importance of design, timing and storyboarding in preparing creative professional presentations
- Learned about different ways to engage visually and verbally
- Discovered how to build on their personal creative and communicative strengths
- Learned how to deal positively with nerves and deal with any negative emotions about presenting
Iain is a training consultant who runs his own micro-business. He was a postgraduate student at UHI in Inverness, Sheffield Hallam university and the universities of Northumbria and York. He is a qualified teacher, Research Council Vitae tutor, training consultant with NHS Scotland health partnerships and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Iain specialises in communication skills training. Current clients include UHI, the University of Edinburgh and the universities of Heriot Watt and Strathclyde. Before starting his own business in 2004, Iain worked for several large organisations including the UK Civil Service, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) in London, The British Council in Madrid and the Czech Management Centre in Prague.
We want to make this a positive experience for all participants and hope we have met everyone's needs in joining this session. If you have particular access needs please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can work together to get you as good an experience as we can.
Please read our policy on how we treat any personal information collected in relation to our events:
Data Protection Statement for Events