Using the library service
Joining the library service
The service is free to all students enrolled on any UHI or partner college course and to all staff employed by UHI or at an academic partner. Student library accounts are created at course registration, with the student ID number being the library number. Resources in any UHI library are available to all staff and students.
The following core services are available at all UHI library/learning resource centres:
- access to a range of books for loan and reference, and journals, which support the courses offered.
- access to all resources held across the network through inter-site loan (speak to your librarian), subject to local rules on borrowing.
- access to PCs and other ICT facilities and access to the Internet
- access to online information such as and .
- access to other university libraries
Scottish collections policy
The aim of the policy is to ensure that researchers, in the broadest sense, continue to have access to low-use print research materials.
Library services handbook
The UHI Library Services Handbook provides details of the wide range of library services available to you, of who to contact for further support and sections highlighting the most useful e-resources for each subject area.
The Gaelic version is also available online as a booklet or