Archiving is the process of moving a message or appointment from the GroupWise server to a local computer of your designation. When an item is archived, its location within the archive mirrors the original location of the item in the mailbox.
Setting up your archive
- Open your GroupWise client on the computer you use on a daily basis. (It is a good idea to only create an archive directory on one computer. That way, all of your archived email will be store in a single, frequently-used location).
- Go to Tools menu and select Options.
- Double-click the Environment icon and then click on the File Location tab.
- In the Archive directory field, add the name for the directory that you want to use for your archive. Choose a directory name that you will remember. (For example: your name, archive, gwarchive, emailarchive, etc...)
- Click OK at the bottom of the screen. You will receive a message asking if you would like to create the folder. Click Yes and then click Close to exit the Options menu.
- To archive email from your Online mailbox simply select the email that you wish to archive either individually, or by selecting multiple messages. To select multiple messages you can do one of the following -
- Press Ctrl and A to select the entire contents of a folder
- Highlight one email at the start of a long list the press shift and the up/down arrow to select a large group of emails
- Highlight an email you wish to archive and them while pressing Ctrl highlight all others you wish to archive
- Highlight one individual email
Accessing your archived items
- Open GroupWise, then go to File>Open Archive.
- As mentioned, the archive looks exactly like your regular mailbox. Items are archived to the location (folders and subfolders) that they were stored in your regular mailbox. The main indicator that you are in your archive file is the word (Archive) that appears in the title bar at the top of the screen.
- To exit your archive, go to the File menu and select Open Archive again.