The UHI helpdesk is available to all UHI students and staff. We provide first line support for all queries and problems with any service provided by LIS.
Monday to Friday - 09.00 to 17.00
Out of Hours Helpdesk
The Out of Hours helpdesk is run in partnership with our service partners at NorMAN. This is open at all times when UHI Helpdesk is closed, including overnight, weekends and holiday periods. If the Out of Hours team cannot resolve your call first time, it will pass your request to the UHI helpdesk team for the next working day
Monday to Thursday – 17:00 to 09:00
Friday through to Monday – 17:00 to 09:00
Plus all UHI Closure Periods.
Video Conferencing Helpdesk
The VC Helpdesk provides support and advice for any issues you have may have with using the UHI Video Conferencing System. There is no Out of Hours cover for the VC Helpdesk
Monday to Friday 09:00 – 21:00
ICT Helpdesks at Academic Partner
Most Colleges within UHI also have local ICT Helpdesks to provide on-site support. Please check with your local college for details of your local ICT Team.
For Campus Contact Details, click here
Log a call
Log a call
You can log a call to us in any of the following ways -
UHI Helpdesk and Out of Hours Helpdesk
Phone (internal) – Ext 150
Phone (external) – 01463 279150
Email – email@example.com
Video Conferencing Helpdesk
Phone (internal) – Ext 155
Phone (external) – 01463 279155
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for Webhelpdesk
Please note you can only log a call via the web if you are connect to a UHI networked computer or using MyUHI from your own computer.
What is remote assistance?
The service allows UHI helpdesk analysts to connect directly to your computer to provide real time help with problems you might be experiencing. The analyst can view and control your desktop once connected. Files can also be transferred to your computer. The TeamViewer software creates a unique and temporary support session with an ID Number and password, which are only valid for the duration of the session. For peace of mind, everything the analyst does is visible to you at all times when connected.
Before you call UHI helpdesk
- PC software must be Microsoft Windows 98 or later
- Mac software must be Mac OS X 10.2 or later
- You will need a phone with you at the computer you are working at
- Your computer must have a working network or broadband connection to the Internet
- Close all sensitive or confidential documents before the session starts
Step by Step guide
Call UHI helpdesk on 01463 279150 or internal 150
- Enter the code in the box below and click 'Get assistance'.
- The analyst will guide you to the Remote Assistance software at theSoftware Download Pages.
Feedback on your experience
How was your experience with any of our Helpdesks? Do you want to pass on positive comments or do you have a suggestion for improvement. No matter what you want to tell us, if it is the UHI Helpdesk, Out of Hours helpdesk or the VC Master, we'd like to hear from you.
How do I give LIS feedback?
There are 2 ways to give us feedback. If you call UHI Helpdesk or create a call with us, a link is sent to you in the call closure email which takes you to our LIS and ICT Survey. Each month we pick one Survey at random to win 2GB Apple iPod Shuffle plus some UHI Merchandise
Also, you can fill in our Feedback Page at any time on any service provided by LIS. We aim to respond, if required, within 2 weeks but it helps if you have any ticket numbers related to your feedback as well. Please visit the Feedback Pages
What we do
The helpdesk services provided by UHI are here to help students and staff to make the best of the technical resouces available to you. We will help with ICT difficulties or faults which may arise in a timely manner, to reduce the disruption to you. We will analyse the requests received to help improve the service we offer and to shape future technology plans.
What we will do
- provide friendly, timely assistance if you call or email us
- aim to resolve your issues first time where possible
- pass your request to the correct specialist or local ICT team if the helpdesk cannot resolve the call first time
- use requests received to identify any recurring or common problems which could be resolved before they cause a further problem to other users
- accurately make note of the details of your problem and refer to any history if required
The helpdesk teams are your first point of contact and will know who to pass your request to if it cannot be resolved first time. UHI have a full team of technology specialists to deal with more in-depth problems. We also work with external service providers to maintain some of our services to you as well.
We will allocate calls quickly and accurately to local College ICT teams if the problem cannot be dealt with by UHI
Step by Step process
- When you contact any UHI helpdesk, you will be asked for your username which will have been issued to you when you joined. This will be a student or staff ID
- A ticket will be created in our call logging system, called Webhelpdesk
- A unique reference number will be generated and communicated to you by an email to your @uhi.ac.uk email account
- If you are calling about a previous call, you will be asked some security questions to verify your identity as well as any previous ticket numbers
- The unique ticket number allows us to locate old calls and avoid duplication
- If the helpdesks cannot resolve the request first time, it will be given a priority according to the severity and urgency of the problem
- Your request will be passed to a specialist, local ICT team or service provider if the helpdesk cannot resolve it
- You will receive email updates as to when yuor call is resolved or if further information is required from you
- Once a request has been resolved, it will be closed 8 hours later but can be re-opened if the issue reoccurs
Your privacy when dealing with LIS
- Information held in our call logging system is defined as personal data by the Data protection Act 1998
- Information is held of the details of every request made to any UHI helpdesk. This includes any email correspondance sent to or from UHI in relation to the request
How we use this information
- To track request progress and monitor the time taken to deal with it
- Produce monthly statistics which are published by UHI for management and policy development purposes. These statistics will never include any personal data and are used solely to establish trends and fauly analysis
- Detailed solutions held within a closed request may be re-used for subsequent repeat requests but all personal data from the original request will have been removed
Who uses this information
- This information may be shared when neccessary and to facilitate members of staff within LIS to deal with requests made to UHI helpdesks.
- It may also be shared with Academic partners within UHI at a departmental or local ICT team level to deal with a request which has been made
- Data may also be shared where appropriate in circumstances, such as a customer has already invovled a 3rd party with the request initially
- Access to information held within the database is restriced to staff within LIS and UHI Academic Partners who also use the webhelpdesk system
If the information is incorrect
- If it becomes apparent that information held is inaccurate, it can be corrected by contacting helpdesk
- Any data changes made may be time stamped and held in a log of information recorded. This is not to show that data is neccesarily inaccurate but corrections have been made as per user request
Further information can be found in the Freedom of Information pages.