Prof Ian Megson
Department of Diabetes and Cardiovascular Science
Highland Diabetes Institute
The Centre for Health Science
Old Perth Road
tel: +44 (0)1463 279 572
Available to talk to the media about
- Inflammation and free radicals: key players in the link between diabetes and cardiovascular disease?
- Antioxidants in diabetes & cardiovascular disease
- New drugs for preventing heart attacks in patients with diabetes
- Pollutants and nanoparticles in cardiovascular disease
- Potential benefits of a high oat diet in diabetes
- Can markers of oxidative stress predict cardiovascular risk?
In the following languagesEnglish
Currently Head of the UHI Department of Diabetes and Cardiovascular Science and Director of the Free Radical Research Facility, Professor Megson arrived at UHI to develop health research from scratch in 2006 and the team has since gone from strength to strength, boasting many successes in terms of grant funding and publications.
Professor Megson has a degree in Physiology from the University of St Andrews, where his interest in nitric oxide and free radicals was sparked. A PhD investigating the release of nitric oxide from novel drugs followed at St Andrews’ renowned Flitney Laboratory (completed in 1993), after which he went on to complete his studies on the topic through a British Heart Foundation Post-doctoral Fellowship.
In 1995, Professor Megson then moved to the University of Edinburgh where further post-doctoral work led to lectureship and senior lectureship posts.
Professor Megson’s other roles across the Department encompass administrative duties including finance, health and safety, external grant funding and intellectual property as well as supervision of PhD and undergraduate research projects.
- Fellow - Higher Education Academy
- Fellow - Society of Biology
- Chair - Scottish Natural Actives Programme
- Founding Member - European Vascular Biology Society
- Member - Scottish Cardiovascular Forum
- Member - British Cardiovascular Society
- Organiser - Nitric Oxide Congress (2012)
- Organiser - Natural Products Biotechnology (2014)