Prof Kenneth Black
Scottish Association for Marine Science UHI
Scottish Marine Institute
Main Tel: 01631 559000
tel: +44 (0) 1631 559259
Available to talk to the media about
- Aquaculture Environment Interactions: escapes
- measuring and modelling seabed impacts
- water column impacts
- medicines in the environment
- sealice and connectivity
In the following languagesEnglish
Professor Kenneth Black has been a researcher in marine science at SAMS since 1991 and has published 68 ISI peer-reviewed journal papers on a variety of topics ranging from organic chemistry to modelling environmental impacts of aquaculture. He has been awarded over 50 research grants as PI or co-PI. He has edited and co-edited 6 books on environmental aspects of aquaculture and contributed chapters to several other volumes. He has supervised 10 PhD students to successful completion. He has co-ordinated 6 EU projects concerning the impacts of aquaculture and been involved in 6 others. He presently co-ordinates the EU H2020 project AquaSpace.
His current research interests include: 1) sustainability, energy, food, society; 2) integration of physical and biological models relating to disease and parasite management in aquaculture; 3) Recovery processes in fish farm sediments; and 4) Indicators and models of pollution from aquaculture.
Prof. Black has served on several Scottish Government working groups on a variety of aquaculture topics, as well as serving on the Ministerial Working Group for Aquaculture from its inception in 2002 till 2013. He serves on the Science Advisory Board for Marine Scotland Science and is a member of the UK Non-native Risk Assessment Panel.
- Sustainability, energy, food, society
- Integration of physical and biological models relating to disease and parasite management in aquaculture
- Recovery processes in fish farm sediments
- Indicators and models of pollution from aquaculture
- Macroalgae as a source of biofuel and added value products
- Price CS, Black KD, Hargrave BT, Morris Jr JA (2015) Marine cage culture and the environment: effects on water quality and primary production. Aquaculture Environment Interactions. 6: 151–174 doi: 10.3354/aei00122
- Jackson D, Drumm A, McEvoy S, Jensen Ø, Mendiola D, Gabiña G, Borg J., Papageorgiou N, Karakassis Y, Black K. (2014). A pan-European valuation of the extent, causes and cost of escape events from sea cage fish farming. Aquaculture.
- Kalantzi I, Papageorgiou N, Sevastou K, Black KD, Pergantis SA, Karakassis I (2014) Metals in benthic macrofauna and biogeochemical factors affecting their trophic transfer to wild fish around fish farm cages. Science of the Total Environment 470–471: 742–753
- Hawkins AJS, Pascoe PL, Parry H, Brinsley M, Cacciatore F, Black KD, Fang JG, Jiao H, McGonigle C, Moore H, O'Boyle N, O'Carroll T, Loan BO, Service M, Smaal AC, Yan X, Zhang JH, Zhang XL, Zhu MY (2013) Comparative feeding on chlorophyll-rich versus remaining organic matter in bivalve shellfish. Journal of Shellfish Research 32: 883-897 doi 10.2983/035.032.0332
- Hawkins AJS, Pascoe PL, Parry H, Brinsley M, Black KD, McGonigle C, Moore H, Newell CR, O'Boyle N, O’Carroll T, O'Loan B, Service M, Smaal AC, Zhang XL, Zhu MY (2013) Shellsim: A Generic Model of Growth and Environmental Effects Validated Across Contrasting Habitats in Bivalve Shellfish. Journal of Shellfish Research 32:237-253
- Kalantzi I, Black KD, Pergantis SA, Shimmield TM, Papageorgioua N, Sevastoua, K, Karakassis, I (2013) Metals and other elements in tissues of wild fish from fish farms and comparison with farmed species in sites with oxic and anoxic sediments. Food Chemistry 141: 680-694
- Karakassis, I., Dimitrioua, P.D., Papageorgioua, N., Apostolaki, E.T., Lampadariou, N. and Black, K.D. (2013) Methodological considerations on the coastal and transitional benthic indicators proposed for the Water Framework Directive. Ecological Indicators. 29. 26-33
- Slocombe, S.P., Zhang, Q., Black, K.D., Day, J.G. and Stanley, M.S. (2013) Comparison of screening methods for high-throughput determination of oil yields in micro-algal biofuel strains. Journal of Applied Phycology 25:961–972
- Arechavala-Lopez P, Fernandez-Jover D, Black KD, Ladoukakis E, Bayle-Sempere JT, Sanchez-Jerez P, Dempster T (2013) Differentiating the wild or farmed origin of Mediterranean fish: a review of tools for sea bream and sea bass. Reviews in Aquaculture 5:137-157
- Kalantzi, I., Shimmield, T.M., Pergantis, S.A., Papageorgiou, N., Black, K.D. and Karakassis, I. 2013. Heavy metals, trace elements and sediment geochemistry at four Mediterranean fish farms. The Science of the Total Environment 444. 128-137.
- Black, KD, Calder LA, Nickell TD, Sayer MDJ, Orr H, Brand T, Cook EJ, Magill SH, Katz T, Eden N, Jones KJ, Tsapakis M and Angel D 2012 Chlorophyll, lipid profiles and bioturbation in sediments around a fish cage farm in the Gulf of Eilat, Israel. Aquaculture. 356. 317-327.
- Cromey CJ, Thetmeyer H, Lampadariou N, Black, KD, Kögeler J, Karakassis I 2012. MERAMOD - predicting the deposition and benthic impact of aquaculture in the Eastern Mediterranean. Aquaculture Environment Interactions 2, 157-176 Doi: 10.3354/aei00034
- Duarte, Carlos M., Marianne Holmer, Yngvar Olsen, Doris Soto, Núria Marbà, Joana Guiu, Kenny Black, Ioannis Karakassis. (2009) Will the Oceans Help Feed Humanity? BioScience 59 967-976 (IF 4.7)
- Adey, E.A., Black, K.D., Sawyer, T, Shimmield, T.M. and C.N. Trueman, C.N. (2009) Scale microchemistry as a tool to investigate the origin of wild and farmed Salmo salar. Marine Ecology Progress Series 390 225-235
- Borja A, Rodriguez JG, Black K, Bodoy A, Emblow C, Fernandes TF, Forte J, Karakassis I, Muxika I, Nickell TD, Papageorgiou N, Pranovi F, Sevastou K, Tomassetti P and Angel D 2009. Assessing the suitability of a range of benthic indices in the evaluation of environmental impact of fin and shellfish aquaculture located in sites across Europe. Aquaculture 293. 231-240.