University of the Highlands and Islands
tel: +44 (0) 01463 279347
Available to talk to the media about
- The economy of the Highlands and Islands
- The national and international economic context
- Sectoral developments in the Highlands and Islands
- Any topical economic issues
In these languagesEnglish
- 1975-1978 - Economist, West Midlands County Council
- 1978-1987 - Senior Economist, Highlands and Islands Development Board
- 1988-1992 - Senior Consultant, Mackay Consultants, Inverness
- Since 1992 - Independent Economist based in Nairn
- Since August 2013 - Director, Economic Intelligence Unit (UHI), 2 days per week.
More than 40 studies, including community development projects, the impacts of potential school closures in Shetland, the economic impacts of forestry in Scotland, impacts from reduced support for transport in the Western Isles, etc.
Research groups and interests
Economic Intelligence Unit (UHI)
Proposed Low Carbon Institute (UHI)
More than 800 reports produced in the past 20 years, including:
- Detailed reports on trends in the Highlands and Islands economy
- Trends and major projects in key sectors, including energy, tourism, creative industries, etc.
- Feasibility studies, business plans and reviews for major community initiatives