One often overlooked way of getting relevant experience is to join a professional association or organisation.
Many careers have professional bodies that represent or regulate the profession (for example the British Psychological Society is an important professional association for psychologists) and these bodies will normally have reduced rates for student membership. Being a member of an organisation is particularly helpful for:
- Staying up to date with changes in the profession
- Finding out who's who: key people and organisations
- Accessing training courses or conferences
- Finding out about job vacancies
- Accessing other information through newsletters
In order to find out about professional associations you can:
Look up your profession on a careers database such as the Prospects or MyWorldofWork databases, the details for your profession should include links to relevant organisations. You can also find a list of professional organisations on the TotalProfessions website.