British Sign Language Plan
The Scottish Government wants to make Scotland the best place in the world for BSL users to live, work and visit. As a result the BSL (Scotland) Act 2015 was passed and, following this, a national plan for Scotland was published which outlined 10 key long-term goals.
- Public services
- Family support, early learning and childcare
- School education
- Post-school education
- Training, work and social security
- Health, mental health and wellbeing
- Culture and the arts
In addition, local authorities and public bodies such as universities had a duty to create their own local plans. The university’s plan details the actions it will take to encourage users to apply to the university and to improve the support available to BSL users.
Please click here to read the university plan. A BSL version will shortly be available.
Deaf Action deliver a range of services to individuals with sensory support needs in Scotland.
Interpreting Solutions provide a range of services to D/deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals around the UK. This includes;
- Language Professional Service (Communication Support Workers, British Sign Language Interpreters, Notetakers, Palantypists, Deaf Relay Interpreters, Deaf Blind Interpreters, Lip Speaking Interpreters, Teachers of the Deaf and Specialist Mentors, and Advocacy to potential students)
- Deaf Student Recruitment (Interpreting Solutions are a specialist agency involved in the recruitment of deaf and hard of hearing students; this is done by supporting students with UCAS, SFE and DSA)
- Disability Awareness Event (including bespoke events)
- Deaf Awareness Training (Raising awareness and providing knowledge of the Deaf community and their relation to Education)