This is not an exhaustive list of helplines. If you know of a good helpline let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please remember that UHI is not responsible for the content of external websites.
If you are worried someone might check what websites you visit, find out about web safety.
If you are worried someone may be suicidal, ask them. It could save their life. Choose Life (Suicide Prevention in Scotland) have produced a guide which gives advice and tips on spotting suicidal signs, and listening effectively. It also contains details of support groups and organisations which can provide further help and assistance; Art of Conversation: A Guide to Listening, Talking, and Reducing Stigma
Breathing Space Scotland, is a free and confidential phoneline service for any individual, who is experiencing low mood or depression, or who is unusually worried and in need of someone to talk to.
0800 83 85 87 Opening hours: Monday - Thursday 6pm - 2am, Friday 6pm - Monday 6am
Kooth, provides free, safe, and anonymous online support for young people, with access to counsellors during opening hours. There are also articles written by young people, and support from the Kooth Community.
Opening hours: Monday - Friday 12pm - 10pm, Saturday - Sunday 6pm - 10pm
- Alcoholics Anonymous - 0845 7697 555
- Brain in Hand - Personalised support from your mobile phone, designed to reduce anxiety, help you feel safe, and increase independence
Bereavment, Loss and Grief
- Cruse - Day by Day Helpline 0844 4779400 Open Monday - Friday 9.30am - 5pm. Young Person's freephone helpline - 0808 8081677
- Anti-Bullying Alliance - A coalition of organisations and individuals, working to stop bullying and create safer environments for children and young people
- National Bullying Helpline - 0845 2255787 Open Monday - Friday 10am - 4pm, Saturday 10am - 2pm
- Stand Up To Bullying - Advice and guidance from the campaign behind the annual UK Stand Up To Bullying Day.
Depression, Stress and Anxiety
- Choose Life - Suicide prevention in Scotland
- The Samaritans - 08457 909090
- MIND - National Association for Mental Health information line - 08457 660163 (local rate)
- Papyrus - Preventing young suicide
- SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder support and advice
- The CALM Zone - Preventing male suicide
- Elefriends - A supportive online community to listen, share and be heard
- Blurt - Increasing awareness and underestanding of depression, and providing dedicated support
- Anxiety UK - National charity helping people with anxiety
- Buddhify - A meditation and mindfulness app, for use on the go
- Happify - Techniques to help overcome stress and negative thoughts, and build resilience
- Head Meds - Giving young people general information about mental health medication which may have been prescribed
- Abused Men In Scotland – This is a national organisation working with men who have experienced or are experiencing domestic abuse. Freephone from 7pm – 10pm 0808 8000024
- Scottish Women's Aid
- Scottish Domestic Abuse Helpline - 0800 0271234
- Talk to Frank - National Drugs Helpline 0800 776600
- b-Eat - 0845 6341414 or email@example.com
- Anorexia and Bulimia Care - A national UK eating disorders organisation which offers on-going care, emotional support, and practical guidance. Helpline: 03000 111213 Open Monday - Friday 9.30am - 5.30pm
- GamCare -Leading provider of information, advice, support and free counselling for the prevention and treatment of problem gambling.
- The Spark - Counselling and relationship support
- Relationships Scotland - 0845 1192020
- LGBT Youth
- Madly in Love - A platform where young people can seek advice and share stories about how their mental health affects their romantic relationship
- My Horrid Parent - A website offering advice on how to deal with a difficult parent, feel better, and grow stronger
- Childline - 0800 1111
- NHS Direct - 0845 4647
- National Self Harm Network
- Calm Harm - An app which provides tasks to help resist or manage the urge to self harm
Sexual Health and Wellbeing
- Rape Crisis Scotland - 08088 010302
- fpa Sexual Health Direct - Scotland 0141 5765088
- British Pregnancy Advisory Service - 08457 304030
- Brook Helpline - Confidential advice for under 25s - Ask Brook 0808 8021234
- Gender Based and Sexual Violence - the university support webpage for anyone who has experienced this