Mr Neil Angus
Project: Treatment Adherence in Coronary Heart Disease (co-investigator) – ongoing
Activity: Preparation of academic papers relating to dyadic analysis and use of brief symptom inventory in the project above
- Chest Heart Stroke Scotland (£5000) – Treatment Adherence in Coronary Heart Disease (co-investigator) - ongoing
- NHS Highland (£5500) – Child Healthy Weight Scoping Exercise (PI) – completed
- Burdett Trust (£72,000) – Delivery of community cardiac rehabilitation in the Scottish Highlands (PI) – completed
- NHS Highland (£3,100) – Study of Cardiac Misconceptions in Hospital Staff (co-investigator) – completed
- NHS Highland (£1,000) - Evaluation of Diabetes Education Programme (PI) – completed
- Inverness & Nairn Enterprise (£17,645) Uncertainty in cardiac Illness (PI) – completed
A list of publications can be accessed via PURE
Peer Reviewed Journals
Kyle R, Angus NJ, Smith J, Stewart C & MacLennan F (2015) Pedagogical innovation to establish partnerships in adolescent health promotion: lessons from a Scottish undergraduate nursing programme, Pedagogy in Health Promotion, 1 (2), pp. 83-90.
Blair J Angus NJ Lauder WJ Atherton I Evans J Leslie SJ (2014) The influence of non-modifiable illness perceptions on attendance at cardiac rehabilitation, European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing 13(1) 55-62.
Blair J Angus NJ Leslie SJ (2013) Patient focused internet based approaches to cardiovascular rehabilitation - a systematic review, Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 19 (6), 347-353.
Leslie SJ Angus NJ (2012) Cardiac Rehabilitation: A Euro Postcode Lottery? [Commentary on: Kotseva K, Wood D, De Baker G, De Bacquer D (2012) Use and effects of cardiac rehabilitation in patients with coronary heart disease: results from the EUROASPIRE III Study Group. European Journal of Preventive Cardiology DOI: 10.1177/2047487312449591] British Journal of Cardiac Nursing, 7, 10, 503.
Blair J Angus NJ Atherton I Lauder WJ Leslie SJ (2012) Relationship between physical and psychological factors and attendance at cardiac rehabilitation (Published Abstract), European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 11 (Supplement 1), S79.
Maclean A Angus NJ Evans R Hay A Ho-Yen D (2012) Nursing Knowledge of Hepatitis- 25 years later, Journal of Infection Prevention, 13, 1, 28 – 31, DOI:10.1177/1757177411427480.
Blair J Corrigal H Angus NJ Thompson DR Leslie S (2011) Home versus hospital-based cardiac rehabilitation: a systematic review, Rural and Remote Health 11 (online), 2011: 1532. Available from: http://www.rrh.org.au.
Angus N Patience F MacLean E Corrigal H Bradbury I Thompson DR Atherton I Leslie SJ (2011) Cardiac Misconceptions in Healthcare Workers, European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, doi:10.1016/j.cjcnurse.2011.01.004.
MacKenzie E Smith A Angus N Menzies S Brulisauer F Leslie SJ (2010) Mixed-method exploratory study of general practitioner and nurse perceptions of a new community based nurse-led heart failure service, Rural and Remote Health 10 (online), 2010: 1510. Available from: http://www.rrh.org.au.
Blair J Leslie SJ Thompson DR Angus N (2010) Home-based cardiac rehabilitation: A review, British Journal of Cardiac Nursing, 5, 6, 286 – 291.
Angus N Patience F MacLean E Corrigal H Leslie S (2009) Cardiac Misconceptions in Hospital Staff (Published Abstract), European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing 8, S16.
Angus N (2005) The angina patient's journey: early uncertainties (Published Abstract), European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing 4 (1): 57.
Angus N Lauder W Reynolds W (2001) Psychometric development of the Mental Health Problems Perception Questionnaire, Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 8, 471-472.
Angus N Lauder W Reynolds W (2001) Further testing of the Mental Health Problems and Perceptions Questionnaire, Journal of Advanced Nursing, 33, 5, 1-6.
Lauder W Reynolds W Reilly V Angus N (2001) The role of district nurses in caring for people with mental health problems who live in rural areas, Journal of Clinical Nursing, 10, 337-344.
Thomson P Angus N Scott J (2000) The value and use of clinical guidelines, protocols, care pathways and algorithmic guidelines as evidence based frameworks in critical care education and practice, Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 16, 164 – 174.
Lauder W Reynolds W Reilly V Angus N (2000) The development and testing of the mental health problems perception questionnaire, Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 7, 3, pp 221-226.
Lauder W Reynolds W Angus N (1999) Transfer of knowledge and skills: some implications for nursing and nurse education, Nurse Education Today, vol.19, No. 6, pp 480 – 487.
Smith J Kyle R Angus NJ (2015) Pedagogical Innovation to Establish Partnerships in Adolescent Health Promotion, Enhancing Nursing Through Educational Research (ENTER), 12 - 13 November 2015, Edinburgh.
Blair J Angus NJ Atherton I Lauder WJ Leslie SJ (2012) Relationship between physical and psychological factors and attendance at cardiac rehabilitation, 12th Annual Spring Meeting of the European Society of Cardiology Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Allied Professions, 16 – 17 March, Copenhagen
Blair J Angus NJ Atherton I Lauder W Leslie SJ (2011) Illness Perception predicts attendance at cardiac rehabilitation (Poster Presentation), NHS Highland Research and Development Conference, 24 June, Inverness
Blair J Corrigal H Angus NJ Thompson DR Leslie SJ (2010) Home versus hospital cardiac rehabilitation: implications for patients in remote areas (Poster Presentation), NHS Highland Research and Development Conference, 31 March, Inverness
Angus NJ Patience F MacLean E Corrigal H Leslie S (2009) Cardiac Misconceptions in Hospital Staff, Addressing the Challenges in Cardiovascular Care, 9th Spring Meeting of the European Society of Cardiology Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Allied Professions, 24 – 25 April, Dublin
Patience F MacLean E Corrigal H Angus NJ Leslie S (2008) Cardiac Misconceptions in Hospital Staff, British Cardiovascular Society Annual Scientific Conference, 2 – 4 June, Manchester
Unpublished Reports and Dissertations
Angus N (2002) Evaluation of Diabetes Workshops. Report to the Diabetes Centre, Highland Acute Hospitals NHS Trust, Inverness
Angus N (1992) – ‘A study of the attitudes of nursing staff towards stroke patients and their management’ , Master of Nursing Programme, University of Glasgow
Angus N (1984) – ‘A proposed investigation of the physical and psychological effects that participation in an exercise rehabilitation programme has on patients recovering from myocardial infarction’ Bachelor of Nursing Programme, University of Glasgow
- MN BN (Hons) Dip Professional Studies (Critical Care)
- PGCert (Professional & Higher Education)
- Registered General Nurse
- Registered Nurse Teacher
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC)
- Member of ESC Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Allied Professionals (CCNAP)
- Module developer and co-ordinator SHSU09A & SHSU11A
- Academic Mentor; PG Supervisor
- Support of student overseas exchange programme with the University Of South Florida, Tampa, USA
- wide range of general academic contributions as member and chair of university academic committees over many years
- Personal Academic Tutor
Teaching and Learning
- Professional & Higher Education
- Adult Medical, Cardiovascular / Critical Care Nursing
- Clinical & Academic Management
- Curriculum Development
- Technology Enhanced Learning
- Clinical Skills Teaching
- Critical care education and practice
- Psychosocial aspects of long-term conditions (specifically cardiac illness), Cardiac rehabilitation, Cognitive appraisal in illness experience, Innovations in health care provision e.g. telehealth
- Mixed methods research and instrument development