Mrs Anne Leiper
Based at the Centre for Health Science in Inverness, I work as a Lecturer within the Department of Nursing for The University of Highlands and Islands.
I have more than 30 years nursing and teaching experience in the field of mental health nursing. I have considerable teaching experience including working with innovative teaching practices such as direct clinical supervision of one to one counselling skills in practice learning placements both as a clinical teacher (8 years) and as a volunteer addictions supervisor (9 years).
I was the first to be appointed to the role of Disability Contact for the School in 2001, and have experience of working with the challenges posed by a distant remote campus and the demands of changing disability legislation over the years. This has enabled me to gain considerable experience in disability requirements, such as specialist software utilised for student examinations and training staff to act as invigilators for these exams, procuring loan equipment for students and helping to source specialist equipment and work on individual practice placement adjustments needed by nursing students with disabilities.
I have an honorary NHS Highland Occupational Health Psychological Service contract (since 2008 – present). This working role as a psychological therapist (CBT & EMDR) enables me to work with a very small client caseload that keeps my knowledge and skills up to date, and allows specialist teaching on these topics in the curriculum.
- PG Diploma In Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapies (University of Dundee)
- BSc Open, Topics studied: Technology; Psychology; Biology, Brain & Behaviour; and Management (Open University)
- PG Certificate of Education – Nurse Teacher (Jordanhill College of Education)
- Diploma in Nursing - Clinical Teaching (Dundee College of Technology)
- Certificate in Counselling Supervision Skills (COSCA)
- Certificate in Counselling (Confederation of Scottish Counselling Agencies COSCA)
- Trauma EMDR Therapist (Parts 1 – 4 EMDR UK & Ireland)
- CBT Therapist PG Diploma (University of Dundee)
- Registered Nurse Teacher (NMC)
- Registered Clinical Nurse Teacher (NMC)
- Registered Nurse - Mental Health (NMC)
- Registered Nurse – Adult (NMC)
- NMC registrant
- BABCP member
- EMDR UK & Ireland member
- RCN member
- Teach and assess a wide range of subjects using varied approaches across the undergraduate nursing programme and post qualifying programme.
- Contribute to curriculum development
- Provide a campus contact point for students with disabilities
- Administrative responsibilities including module development and timetabling
- Provide academic and pastoral support to students
- Module Leader (mental health)
- Health and Safety Coordinator
- Psychological theory and therapies
- Client centred counselling
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Psychological trauma
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprogramming (EMDR) therapy