Dr Leah Macaden
I moved from South India to Inverness in November 2011. My background is nursing and I have been involved with practice, management, education and research supervision within nursing academia at the Christian Medical College, Vellore (http://www.cmch-vellore.edu/) for over three decades. I have developed and taught on a range of under graduate and post graduate nursing programmes both in India and now in Scotland. My PhD from the Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne work was a Qualitative study on risk perception in older South Asians with Type 2 Diabetes in the United Kingdom. In 2013, I led the development of a strategic, distinctive and award winning undergraduate dementia curriculum called Being Dementia Smart that is embedded throughout the undergraduate nursing programme (the first of its kind) based on the Scottish Promoting Excellence Framework for dementia training and education.
More information can be viewed in PURE
- Older adults with Sensory impairments; Pedagogy; CPD for nurses; Dementia Education.
- Testing a Logical Framework for Successful Implementation of Kangaroo Mother Care (KMC) for Low Birth Weight (LBW) Infants at Scale in a Selected District of Northern Karnataka, India (October, 2016) – University of Stirling International Impact Fellowship.
- Technology Enabled Dementia Education and Support (TEDES) for Health Care Professionals in Rural Scotland (April 2017) – ESIF Collaborative PhD Studentship, University of Highlands & Islands.
- Macaden L, Washington M, Smith A, Mony P, Development of Continuing Professional Development Programme for Registered Nurses. Healthcare Partnership Scheme between UoS & St John’s Research Institute, Bangalore India. Tropical Health & Education Trust (THET) April 2015 - £6770
- T Kroll T, Watson M, Macaden L, Smith A, Stoddart K, Sensory impaired person’s access to pharmaceutical care services, Chief Scientist Office, Scotland , April 2015 - £161,047
- Smith A, Macaden L, T Kroll T, Watson M, Stoddart K, A scoping literature review: pharmaceutical care and older people with sensory impairment/s receiving polypharmacy, Alliance for Self-Care Research, January 2015 - £2,500
- Macaden L, Consultancy Services for a project – “Chinnikum” with Diabetes UK, Scotland - Alliance for Health & Social Care, Scotland, Feb 2014 - £ 8042.
- Macaden L, Webster E, Munoz S-A, Kyle R, Human Dignity Narratives and Nurse Education: Promoting Dignity within the Co-produced Care of Older Adults, Scottish Crucible Interdisciplinary Project Fund, September 2013- £4000.
A list of publications can be viewed on PURE
Churness, V & Macaden, L. (2012). Nursing Management: Concepts & Skills (Including Ward Management): ISBN 13:978-93-82457-07-7, Ecumenical Book Services, Chennai, India.
Macaden, L. (2012). Research in Nursing in David, Brown, Nelson, Banerjee, Anantharaman, et al. Textbook of Emergency Medicine - Vol. 1 & 2, (Wolters Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Delhi, India): 1263 -70.
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Macaden, L., Smith, A & Croy, S. (2017). Simulation on Sensory Impairments in Older Adults: A Pedagogical Initiaitve in Nursing Education. (Accepted for publication in the British Journal of Nursing on 02 Oct, 2017)
- Macaden, L., Washington, M., Smith, A., Thooya, V., Selvam, S.P., George, N. and Mony, P.K. (2017) Continuing Professional Development: Needs, Facilitators and Barriers of Registered Nurses in India in Rural and Remote Settings: Findings from a Cross Sectional Survey. Open Journal of Nursing, 7:8. http://www.scirp.org/journal/OJN/
- John P; Macaden L; Christopher D.J. (2017). Quality of Life using AQLQ (S), ACT & GINA in patients with Bronchial Asthma in South India. Innovation Journal of Nursing & Healthcare. Vol 3 (2), 420-427.
- Jamieson J & Macaden L. (2017). Using the Six Senses to enrich care – Australian Journal of Dementia Care, 6 (2),31 – 34.
- Macaden, L., Kyle, R., Medford,W., Blundell, J., Munoz, S. A& Webster, E. (2017). What promotes or inhibits dignity in the care of older adults? Student Nurses’ perceptions and insights. British Journal of Nursing, 26 (5), 274 -80.
- Kyle, R. G., Medford, W., Blundell, J., Webster, E., Munoz, S. A., & Macaden, L. (2017). Learning and unlearning dignity in care: Experiential and experimental educational approaches. Nurse Education in Practice, 25, 50-56.
- Munoz, S. A., Macaden, L., Kyle, R., & Webster, E. (2016). Revealing student nurses' perceptions of human dignity through curriculum co-design. Social Science & Medicine. DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.12.011
- Schoultz M, Macaden L and Watson A. (2016). Co – Designing inflammatory Bowel Disease Services in Scotland: Findings from a nationwide survey, BMC Health Services Research 16(231). DOI: 10.1186/s12913-016-1490-7.
- Macaden L. (2016). Being Dementia Smart (BDS): A Dementia Nurse Education Journey in Scotland. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship. Volume 13, Issue 1, ISSN (Online) 1548-923X, ISSN (Print) 2194-5772, DOI: 10.1515/ijnes-2015-0019.
- Seneviratne, P., Macaden, L and McGlynn, L. (2016). Diabetes and Me – Innovative Diabetes Support through Community Engagement: A Diabetes Scotland Initiative - Diabetes and Primary Care, 18 (2), 80 – 85.
- Schoultz M, Macaden L and Hubbard G. (2016). "Participants' perspectives on Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Qualitative study nested within a pilot Randomised Controlled Trial" - Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 2(3). http://pilotfeasibilitystudies.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40814-015-0041-z
- Schoultz, M., Macaden, L., & Watson, A. (2015). PWE-058 Co-designing inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) services in Scotland: the patients’ perspective. Gut, 64(Suppl 1), A237-A237.
- Macaden L. and Clarke C.L. (2015). Model of Diabetes Management: Have we got it right for South Asians in the UK? Journal of Diabetes Nursing, 19 (5), 2015: 183 – 189.
- Macaden L. and Clarke C.L. (2014). A Conceptual Model on Risk Perception among Older South Asians with Type 2 Diabetes, Journal of Diabetes Nursing, 18 (9): 371 – 377.
- Varghese NC, Macaden L, Premkumar B, Mathews P, Kumar S. (2014) Delirium in older people in hospital: an education programme, British Journal of Nursing 23 (13): 704–709.
- Jiji Alphonsa Mattam, Lily Kent.H., Morris Mary,*Riti Merin Abraham, Leah Macaden (July – Sept 2013) King’s Goal Attainment Theory Application - Mrs. S with Post-Partum Psychosis. Kerala Nursing Forum, 8 (3), 5 - 9.
- Macaden L., (2013). Enlarge and improve the Christian initiatives in Nursing Education, CMJI, 28 (3), 12 -14.
- Devaki B., Kesiya Ruth.R., Reeta Jebarani.K., Sneha, Leah Macaden., (April – June 2103) Watson’s Human Caring Theory Application – Mr. A with Alcoholism. Kerala Nursing Forum, 8 (2), 5 - 10.
- Jayasutha T., Meena P., Thankian Lalitha Bai, Tinu S. Kurien, Leah Macaden., (Jan – March 2013) Betty Neuman’s Systems Theory Application – Mr. X with HIV infection. Kerala Nursing Forum, 8 (1), 19 – 25.
- J, Jacqueline Mary Koshy, Nongozonuo Khape, Stella. R, Leah Macaden., (Oct - Dec 2012). Roy’s adaptation Theory Application - Mrs. A with Hypertension & Diabetes mellitus. Kerala Nursing Forum, 7 (4), 25 - 29.
- Arokiaseeli Mabel, Hari Krishna.G.L., Mayuri Rachel Cycil, Simi Mohan.J.S.,Leah Macaden., (July – Sept 2012). Parse’s Theory on Human Becoming – Application on Mr. S with HIV / AIDS. Kerala Nursing Forum, 7 (3), 28 -31.
- Hepsi, R., Jeba Terina., Varghese, N.C., Chacko, R., Leah Macaden., (Jan - March 2012). Levine’s Theory Application. Kerala Nursing Forum, 7 (1), 31 - 35.
- Macaden, L., Nursing Theories - An Overview - Part I (Jan - March 2012). Kerala Nursing Forum, 7 (1), 27 -30.
- Christopher, J., Macaden, L. (Jan - June 2011). Job Satisfaction among nurses working in the Accident and Emergency Services. Indian Journal of Nursing Studies, 2 (1), 35 - 39.
- Jayaraj, S. and Macaden, L. (July - September 2010). Collaboration Models in Nursing. Kerala Nursing Forum, 5(3), 11-18.
- Macaden L. and Clarke C.L. (June 2010). The locus of control influencing risk perception in older South Asian men and women with Type 2 diabetes in the United Kingdom. Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness, 2(2), 144 - 152.
- Macaden, L. (April 2009). Risk perception among older South Asian people in the UK with Type 2 Diabetes. Dissertation Abstracts International, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Christopher, J., Macaden, L. and Sunder, T. (Oct - Dec 2008). Purple Glove Syndrome(PGS) - A Case Report. Kerala Nursing Forum, 3(4), 26-31.
- Vijayananthan, S., Macaden, L. and Rajan, A. (September 2008). Effectiveness of a Structured Teaching Programme on the Knowledge and Attitude of nursing personnel in caring for patients with HIV/AIDS. Chhattisgarh Journal of Nursing Review, 2(3), 33 - 38.
- Macaden, L., Christopher, J. and Divitha, S. (July - Dec 2007). Cardiac Tamponade - A Case Study. Indian Journal of Continuing Nursing Education, 8(2), 15-19.
- Premkumar J., Macaden L., Jacob B. and Edwin, S. (October 2007). Nursing Migration - An Indian Perspective. Nursing and Midwifery Links - Official Publication of the Global Network of WHO Collaborating Centres for Nursing and Midwifery Development.
- Macaden, L. (March 2007). Variations in Risk Perception: South Asians living in the UK and their health care professionals. Diabetes Voice, 52(1), 13-16.
- Macaden L. and Clarke C.L. (September 2006). Risk perception among older South Asian people in the UK with Type 2 Diabetes. International Journal of Older People Nursing, 1(3), 177-181.
- Johnson, S. and Macaden, L. (Jan - June 2006). Management of patients with Diabetes mellitus - Part II (Continuing Nursing Education Series). Indian Journal of Continuing Nursing Education, 7(1), 33-45.
- Johnson, S. and Macaden, L. (July - Dec 2005). Management of patients with Diabetes mellitus - Part I (Continuing Nursing Education Series). Indian Journal of Continuing Nursing Education, 6(2), 21-31.
- Macaden, L. (July - Dec 2005). Assertiveness in Nursing. Indian Journal of Continuing Nursing Education, 6(2), 5-8.
- Macaden, L., Starlet, G., Alex, B., Deepa, L., Thomas, T. and Mathew, A. (July - Dec 2001). Nursing Education - Current Scenario and Future Goals. Indian Journal of Continuing Nursing Education, 1(1), 6-9.
- Macaden, L. (Dec 2000). Palliative Care - A Psychosocial Approach. Indian Journal of Continuing Nursing Education, 1(1), 22 - 24.
- Macaden, L. (1999). Fluid & Electrolyte Imbalance. In The WHO Module on Emergency & Trauma Nursing. Vellore: College of Nursing, Christian Medical College & Hospital.
- Senior Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy - 2016
- PhD (Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) – 2009
- MSc in Medical & Surgical Nursing (Christian Medical College, Vellore, South India) – 1993
- BSc in Nursing (Christian Medical College, Vellore, South India) - 1987
- Nursing & midwifery Council, UK
- Royal College of Nursing, UK.
- The Tamilnadu Nurses’ & Midwives’ Council, India.
- Nurse Leader Member Member of Phi Mu (England), Sigma Theta Tau International Society of Nursing.
- Member of the Higher Education Dementia Network, UK.
- Alumnus of the Scottish Crucible.
- Member of the Scottish Dementia Research Consortium.
Editorial Boards / Peer Review
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Indian Journal of Continuing Nursing Education, Dec 2016.
- Invited Article Editor for SAGE Open since Feb 2014.
- Member of the Editorial Board – Journal of Recovery & Rehabilitation in Mental Health, June 2013.
- Reviewer for the Journal of Advanced Nursing since August 2011
- Member of the Editorial Board – South India Board of Nursing Education Feb 2009 till Nov 2011.
- Reviewer for the Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness – October 2007 - August 2011.
- Reviewer for the Journal of Clinical Nursing since October 2007 till date.
- Module Leader for UG & PG Modules
- Personal Academic Tutor
- Interim PG Programme Lead (Until August 2017)
- PhD Supervision
Teaching and Learning
- Adult Nursing, Care of Older adults, Dementia, Diabetes; Pedagogy; Curriculum and Programme Development; Health & Wellbeing; Knowledge Exchange within international contexts.
- My research interests and expertise include: Health & Wellbeing; Health and Ethnicity; Global Health; Dementia; Diabetes; Older adults; Sensory Impairments; Pedagogy; Nursing Education including CPD.
- Methodological expertise with Qualitative research