Sustainable development short courses
Continuing Professional Development Awards
Understanding the principles of how to sustain our communities is vitally important. Study short CPD courses online to contribute to their future!
Graduates, rural and urban community activists, practitioners and professionals with a role in implementing sustainable development in our communities can:
- Gain a unique and up-to-date short course qualification, online from home over a period of 18 months
- Access the latest thinking and approaches to sustainable development
- Develop key scientific knowledge and policy skills.
The following awards are available:
Sustainable Development Award (3X 20 SCQF credits)
- Introduction to Sustainable Rural Development Or Introduction to Global Environmental Issues
- Economic Development: Policy and Theory Or Sustainable Tourism and the Environment
- Globalisation & Sustainable Development Or Climate Change
Rural Community Development Award (3X 20 SCQF credits)
- Introduction to Sustainable Development Or Empowering Communities
- Community-based Economic Development Or Community Energy
- Working with Communities Or Planning for Community Projects
Sustainable Resource Management Award (3X 20 SCQF credits)
- Climate, Land and People Or Environmental Conservation
- Introduction to GIS Or Urban and Regional Planning: Theory and Practice
- Sustainable Tourism and the Environment Or Sustainable Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
Sustainability in Mountains Award (3X 20 SCQF credits)
- Environment of Mountain Regions
- Society and Culture in Mountain Regions
- Economics of Mountain Regions
Flexible online learning
You will study each module through the university’s virtual Learning environment (VLE) which means you can study from anywhere with access to a PC and broadband connection. The flexible mode of study allows you to fit your study around work or other commitments. The course is assessed entirely by coursework, with no exams.
The approach to learning is collaborative, inviting students to share their knowledge and experience from their own local context, and the modules consider sustainable development issues from local to national and international perspectives.
Starts dates are September and January, with completion of the award anticipated within 12-18 months.
For more information and to apply
The CPD awards are fully online. You should apply to Lews Castle College UHI where you will be enrolled and receive support.
To apply : email Lews Castle College UHI admissions team: leAdmissions@uhi.ac.uk or call 01851 770 202
Information is also available for the full BSc (Hons) Sustainable Development