Dr David Worthington
Staff governor (teaching)
Dr David Worthington is head of the university's Centre for History. Having arrived at the centre as a lecturer in July 2008, he subsequently took responsibility for the launch of its first joint honours programme, the BA (Hons) History and Politics, in 2010, and the online MLitt History of the Highlands and Islands, the first ever sub-national masters programme in history at a Scottish university, in 2011. He is programme leader for the latter.
Dr Worthington teaches, publishes and pursues research and knowledge exchange in the following areas:
- Early modern coastal history of the north of Scotland
- Sport in the Highlands (c.1500-c.1750)
- British and Irish emigration and travel in the early modern period
- Scottish-Polish historical connections
- Central Europe in early modern history
Alongside Dr Alastair MacDonald of the University of Aberdeen, he is co-editor of the peer-reviewed cross-disciplinary journal Northern Scotland.