Academic standards and quality regulations 2015-16
Introduction to ASQR
The Academic Standards and Quality Regulations have been developed to fulfil the regulatory requirements of the University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) and are consistent with the Memorandum and Articles of UHI.
The regulations cover all undergraduate and postgraduate students and originally were ratified by Network Academic Council (NAC) in October 1997. Since then, the regulations have been subject to regular amendments and additions. The regulations included here are listed with a note of the dates of approval.
Sections of the regulations are reviewed as needed by the Regulations Working Group, and ratified by Academic Council, in order that all of the appropriate regulatory requirements are developed and implemented in accordance with the requirements of Higher Education agencies, such as QAA Scotland and the Scottish Funding Council, and also in line with changes to university’s academic structures and curriculum.
In February 2011, UHI achieved university title. From that date onwards, all awards which would previously have been made by UHI Millennium Institute will be made by the University of the Highlands and Islands. (Postgraduate research degrees will continue to be awarded through the University of Aberdeen).
The university changed its curriculum structure for all taught degree programmes (undergraduate and postgraduate) from a framework of 15-credit point modules to one of 20-credit point modules in 2012-13. All programmes commenced delivery on the 20-credit point framework in 2012-13.
All new and amended student-specific regulations were approved by Academic Council in March 2015. Changes to quality processes were approved by Academic Council in June 2015.
The electronic version of Academic Standards and Quality Regulations, along with all appendices, additional guidance notes and supporting materials, can be accessed through the website (www.uhi.ac.uk/regulations) and should be taken as the definitive version at all times.
For any comments or questions regarding the Academic Standards and Quality Regulations, please contact:
Copies of this publication in Braille, large print, audio CD and CD-ROM formats are also available from Tara Black on 01463 279228 (email@example.com).
These regulations are for the academic year 2015-16 and supersede all previously issued regulations.
- Section 1 - Academic standards and quality policy
- Section 2 - Quality assurance
- Section 3 - Academic committees
- Section 4 - Internal subject review
- Section 5 - Annual quality monitoring
- Section 7 - Programme development
- Section 8 - Programme approval
- Section 9 - Responsibilities of academic partners in respect of academic provision
- Section 10 - Changes to academic provision
- Section 11 - Academic leadership: subject networks
- Section 12 - Academic leadership: degree programmes and modules
- Section 13 - Collaborative provision
- Section 15 - Appointment and role of external examiners
- Section 16 - Admissions and enrolment
- Section 17a - Assessment regulations (SQA and other awarding bodies)
- Section 17b - Assessment regulations (20-credit framework)
- Section 18 - Assessment appeals procedure
- Section 19 - Academic misconduct policy and procedure
- Appendix A - Scottish higher education quality framework
- Appendix B - Examination guidelines
- Appendix C - Assessment guidance notes (SQA programmes)
- Appendix D - Equivalence policy
- Appendix E - Programme progression board implementation (non-degree awards)
- Appendix F - Approvals process for SQA awards
- Appendix G - Internal verification of SQA provision
- Appendix K - Copyright policy