What is special about this course?
Do you want to study contemporary textiles in a unique setting? Come to Shetland and be inspired by the rich design heritage and stunning landscapes.
This course builds on the reputation of the northern island communities for quality textiles. You will gain the technical skills and the knowledge to produce innovative textiles, and the business skills to market them globally.
You will develop your practical skills in a range of textile areas such as knit, weave, computer-aided design, and print.
Our vibrant course aims to harness your talent and equip you with the skills that will help you sustain a career in this sector. Professional practice will be integral to your training and there is a strong emphasis on contemporary design and awareness of market trends.
We offer well-equipped, modern studios and expert tuition from a team of practising artists and designers. You will also benefit from individual and small group tuition.
Live project work and attendance at textile trade fairs is an important part of the course. Previous students have exhibited at New Designers graduate fair, Shetland International Textile Festival and Wool Week. Study trips differ each year but have included visits to Premier Vision in Paris, Textile Museum in Tilburg and Berlin Fashion Week.
- You will learn through a combination of practical workshops in art and textile techniques, face-to-face tutorials, and video conference lectures
- The course offers the flexibility to exit as each level with a valuable qualification
- Excellent knit, weave and print facilities with a Textile Facilitation Unit, run by an experienced textile technician and equipped with Shima Seike knitting systems. The unit creates fabrics for designers and SMEs globally
- Regular visits to local and national studios, firms and galleries will ensure that you keep up-to-date with current practice and strengthen your understanding of contemporary and historical textiles, art and design
- You will learn highly sought-after practical, professional and computer-aided design (CAD) skills
- You can study full-time or part-time to suit your personal circumstances
We can provide information on local accommodation options on request to help you find a place to stay
- 3 Scottish Highers at grade C or above OR
- 2 A levels at grade C or above
- Preferably including English or a social subject with a strong essay writing assessment element
- Alternatively, the completion of an Art Access course with evidence of ability in written coursework, for example a unit in Art History or contextual study
- You will be required to submit a portfolio of visual work which clearly demonstrates your capacity to cope with the demands of the BA (Hons) Contemporary Textiles
If you do not have the required qualifications you could follow one of the following paths:
1) take the National Certificate (NC) in Art and Design
2) complete a portfolio access course, available at:
- Inverness College UHI
- Lews Castle College UHI
- Moray College UHI
- Orkney College UHI
- Perth College UHI
- Shetland College UHI
3) complete a relevant Scottish Wider Access Programmes (SWAP), such as:
- Access to: Arts and Humanities (Newbattle Abbey College)
- Access to: Arts, Social Sciences and Primary Teaching (Edinburgh College)
- Access to: Arts, Social Sciences and Primary Teaching (North East Scotland College)
- Access to: Celtic Studies incorporating Primary Education with Gaelic (Newbattle Abbey College)
- Access to: Community, Education and Humanities (Dundee & Angus College)
- Access to: Degree Studies (Forth Valley College)
- Access to: Humanities (Arts, Social Sciences and Primary Education) (Fife College)
- Access to: Humanities (Fife College)
- Access to: Humanities (Perth College UHI)
- Access to: Languages with Business (Edinburgh College)
- Access to: Languages, Arts and Social Sciences (Edinburgh College)
- Access to: University Study (Dundee & Angus College)
- NQ Access to: Social Sciences (West Lothian College)
- NQ Access to: Teaching (West Lothian College)
Year 1 - CertHE
Core subjects are:
- Knitted textiles
- Printed textiles
- Critical and contextual studies 1
- Woven textiles
- Textile skills: material, form and context
Year 2 - DipHE
Core subjects are:
- Constructed textiles: specialising
- Constructed textiles: making and meaning
- Professional practice 1
- Critical and contextual studies 2: textiles
You will also choose two option modules which may include:
- Art and social practice
- Lens-based media
- Images of Scotland
- Printed image
- Art film
Year 3 - BA
Core modules are:
- Theory and practice: design
- Constructed textiles: development and exploration
- Research project: design
- Constructed textiles: public exhibition
- Professional practice 2
You will also undertake a textile investigation project in which you will participate in UK or international competition briefs.
Year 4 - BA (Hons)
Your final year will allow you to develop your design and art skills in-depth, with emphasis on practical studio work. You will complete reserach and practical elements in your final year.
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
- You will learn through a combination of practical workshops in art and textile techniques, face-to-face and video conference lectures and tutorials, and online study via the university's virtual learning environment (VLE), with support from your tutors
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 4 years @ 40 hours per week
- Part-time (structured): 8 years @ 18 hours per week
- Part-time (unstructured): negotiable
Number of hours per week indicates the total number of hours you should dedicate to the course, which includes time spent in lectures and your own time spent on individual study and research.
Where can I study my course?
- January (part-time study only)
For students normally domiciled in Scotland or the European Union/EEA (outside of the UK) and with a term time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time (120 credit modules) per year||£1,820||£1,820|
|Part-time (structured) (3 x 20 credit modules) per year||£645||£645|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 20 credit module)||£215||£215|
*The Home-Scotland/EU fee rate is set by the Scottish Government and will be confirmed by March 2019.
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) and with a term time address in Scotland studying this course full time, the following fees apply:
**4th year free only for students studying full-time who have paid for the previous 3 years at the University of the Highlands and Islands.
Part-time (per 20 credit module) - £1,500 (2018-19 and 2019-20).
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
There are a number of funding options available to UK and EU students to help you pay for your studies and your cost of living whilst studying.
For students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union and with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time (120 credit modules) per year||£11,100||£11,650|
|Part-time (structured) (3 x 20 credit modules) per year**||£5,550||£5,820|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 20 credit module)**||£1,850||£1,940|
**There is no part-time study option for Tier 4 sponsored international students.
Further information on international course fees.
A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time RUK and International undergraduate students for continuous and contiguous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.
What can I do on completion of my course?
As the BA (Hons) Contemporary Textiles course combines practical, professional and computer-aided design (CAD) skills, you will be prepared for a number of diverse employment opportunities. You might like to consider:
- establishing your own practice in textile design
- work in community arts
- teacher training
Can I progress into further study?
You can progress to the MA Art and Social Practice.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.