Gaelic Media DipHE
UCAS code P390
Information line 01463 279190
What is special about this course?
If you aspire to a career within the Gaelic media industry, this dynamic DipHE Gaelic Media course will provide you with the experience and knowledge required for direct entry to the workplace.
The course is delivered at our Sabhal Mòr Ostaig campus on the Isle of Skye, and in conjunction with the broadcast and media industry in Scotland. Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI has been successfully providing training in Gaelic media for over 20 years and you will gain real opportunities through their experienced and dedicated staff and strong industry links.
Throughout the course you will develop the necessary industry-specific knowledge and skills alongside the transferable skills sought after by employers. You will also be able to enhance your language skills both while studying and in the wider Gaelic community.
In year one, you will have the opportunity of a week’s work-based learning with a BBC Outside Broadcast Unit at The Royal National Mòd and will have regular input from industry practitioners across a range of modules. There will also be masterclasses from nationally and internationally recognised industry specialists in technical and communication skills.
During the second year, you will spend ten months on industry placement at various media companies and broadcasters and will learn and be assessed on the work you undertake during this time. These workplace opportunities will be supported by MG Alba* and an advisory panel consisting of various industry practitioners as well as representatives of Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI.
*MG ALBA is regulated by Ofcom and its board is appointed by Ofcom, with the agreement of the Scottish Ministers. MG ALBA is the operating name of Seirbheis nam Meadhanan Gàidhlig (Gaelic Media Service).
- You will be taught and supported by highly experienced teaching and support staff
- You will benefit from the expertise and support of recognised industry specialists
- Specialised masterclasses in technical and communication skills
- Excellent technical facilities at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI on the Isle of Skye
- Completion of year two study through a ten-month work placement
- 3 Scottish Highers at grade BBC or above, preferably including Gàidhlig (fluent speakers) or Gaelic (learners) at B or above
- 2 A levels at grade BC or above
- Applicants with other qualifications or experience will be considered on an individual basis
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate that they have a commitment to working in the industry and to have a certain level of fluency in both spoken and written Gàidhlig: this will be assessed during interview
- Those who are not at the required level of fluency in Gaidhlig may gain entry to the course after successful completion of our An Cùrsa Comais CertHE
Year 1 - CertHE
You will study the following core modules:
- Communication skills for media
- Technical skills
- Television research and production skills
- Radio production
Year 2 - DipHE
You will study the following core modules:
- Effective team working
- Enhancing interpersonal skills
- Professional practice (double credit)
- Skills for employment (double credit)
How will I study my course?
You will learn through a combination of face-to-face lectures, tutorials and practical work at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI on the Isle of Skye and during your work placements, and online study via the university's virtual learning environment (VLE) with support from your tutors.
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 2 years @ 40 hrs per week
Number of hours per week indicates the total number of hours you should dedicate to the course, which includes time spent in lectures and your own time spent on individual study and research.
Where can I study my course?
- Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI
For information on costs of this course please contact the college at which you wish to study.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed this course you will be able to pursue a career in the media industry such as in television and radio.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Gaelic Media DipHE
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.