Applied Data Science MSc
Information line 01463 279190
What is special about this course?
Are you interested in making an impactful and effective contribution to business through data science? If so, this new MSc Applied Data Science* will allow you to develop your skills and knowledge in data analytics techniques and evaluate their relevance and validity.
You will learn key data science skills using freely available software. Core subjects will cover fundamental theories, ethical considerations and industry-standard techniques, while optional modules will allow you to focus on specific applications.
The range of options include business, computational, and environmental themes. As part of the environmental options, you will gain experience with GIS software and spatial analysis, while in the business-themed options the focus is on business decisions and company culture – can you help it move toward data-driven decision-making? The computational theme has an emphasis on data engineering and machine learning.
The course is delivered online, allowing you the flexibility to fit your studies around your personal and professional commitments. You can also tailor your option choices to suit your specific areas of interest.
This course may also be of interest to companies wishing to use it as continuing professional development for their employees.
Further information on the course, including more information about the individual modules, can be found in the student handbook which is frequently updated.
*subject to validation
- Flexible optional themes (business, computational and environmental)
- Learn to apply a wide range of data analytics techniques and evaluate their relevance and validity
- Make an immediate and effective contribution to an organisation through data science
- Study current ethical issues in data science and their application to an organisation
- 2:2 honours degree or above in a numerate subject, or in any other subject with relevant work experience
- Applicants with an ordinary degree or equivalent qualification plus relevant work experience, at a suitable level and for an appropriate length of time, will be considered on an individual basis
- Qualifications from an approved professional body will also be taken into account
*Funding support notice*A limited number of scholarships may be available for this course, with a minimum award of £6,000 per place. See fees/funding tab for more information.
Core modules are:
- Introduction to R and data visualisation
- Ethics and data science
- Statistics 1
You will study the following core module:
- Statistics 2
You will also choose one module from the first semester list:
- Environmental option: Applications of GIS
- Business option: Success and culture: the importance of organisational culture
- Computational option: Data analytics on the web
And one module from the second semester list:
- Environmental option: Advanced GIS and remote sharing
- Business option: Information decision making
- Computational option: Data modelling on the web
To achieve the award of MSc Applied Data Science you must successfully complete a research dissertation.
How will I study my course?
- Full-time (available from September 2021)
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
- You will learn through a combination of video conference lectures and tutorials, and online study via the university's virtual learning environment (VLE), with support from your tutors
- Full-time students will also receive face-to-face teaching
- Part-time students will conduct all studies online, although teaching staff are also available on campus to help with any queries
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 1 year @ 40 hours per week
- Part-time: (structured) 3 years @ 20 hours per week
- Part-time: (unstructured) up to 10 years
Number of hours per week indicates the total number of hours you should dedicate to the course, which includes time spent in lectures and your own time spent on individual study and research.
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness College UHI - part-time students will be registered at Inverness College but all studies will be online
- September (Full-time study will be available from September 2021)
For information on costs of this course please contact the college at which you wish to study.
*Funding support notice*
A number of funded spaces may be available to students meeting the eligibility criteria. These are offered through The Data Lab MSc and funded by the European Social Fund and Scottish Funding Council, as part of Developing Scotland’s Workforce in the Scotland 2014-2020 European Structural and Investment Fund Programmes.
For more information please visit The Data Lab. Please note, that we are not accepting applications for places until May 2020, so will be unable to respond to you until after this date.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of the course you will be well suited for any role with a strong emphasis on data analysis or data science. You might also like to take dual roles within a business, marrying your underlying subject knowledge with your data science skills.
Can I progress into further study?
You may progress on to any data focussed MRes or PhD project that also makes use of your underlying subject knowledge gained through experience or undergraduate qualifications.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Applied Data Science MSc
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.