What is special about this course?
This course is aimed at students who wish to work in media. Taught in Gaelic, it is very practical hands-on with teaching by industry practitioners. You will have access to facilities including a broadcast studio, Avid editing software and varied single camera equipment. Master classes are also offered in disciplines not covered in compulsory units.
- You will study at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI on the Isle of Skye, where you will be immersed in a thriving Gaelic-speaking community, be taught by respected industry practitioners and have access to facilities and equipment you will use while working in the industry
- Links with industry are very strong and you will benefit from a 10-month funded work placement in your second year
- There are no specific entry qualifications, but you should have at least a qualification at HNC, HND or degree-level
- You need to be a fluent communicator in the Gaelic language
- If you do not meet our entry requirements, your previous experience and credentials may still qualify you for this course and you should arrange to discuss your eligibility with a member of staff
Year 1 - SCQF level 8
You will study the following units:
- Gaelic communication: advanced operational speaking skills
- Gaelic communication: advanced operational writing skills
- Camera: an introduction
- Editing own programme
- TV planning and production
- Television scriptwriting
- Internet – web development
- Journalism: introduction to industry and practice
- Radio production 1: analysing and producing radio programmes
- Location sound: single microphone recording and boom operations
- European media: analysis and investigation
Year 2 - SCQF level 8
You will study 3 units:
- Work placement
- Creative content generation
- Communication: promoting and pitching
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (structured)
- You will study by way of face-to-face lectures and tutorials in the classroom in year 1, and a work placement in year 2
How long will my course last?
- Part-time: 2 years
Where can I study my course?
For information on costs of this course please contact the college at which you wish to study.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed this course, you might like to consider careers in:
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.