Modern Biological Technologies PDA
Course code 031C
What is special about this course?
Study three Biology units at SCQF level 7, to develop your theoretical knowledge and practical skills in Cell Biology, Microbiology and Biotechnology. This award is a qualification designed to address the practical laboratory skills needed for multi-skilled individuals within the science sector and includes the inter-personal skills required for the 21st century economy.
This course is for you if you have science qualifications at SCQF level 6 and are aiming to progress to further study in higher education, or those with experience in the biological science industry looking to upskill or reskill.
- This course offers a unique opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in biological sciences at SCQF level 7 while developing laboratory skills at the UHI Perth campus
- You will be given the opportunity to attended field trips and engage with local employers during your studies
- Tutors have a range of industry knowledge, practical skills and research experience in Microbiology, Biotechnology, Biology and Ecology
- 1 Scottish Higher at grade C or above in a science subject OR
- 1 A level at grade D or above in a science subject
- PLUS 3 National 5 Passes or equivalent, including Biology or Human Biology
- NPA Laboratory Science SCQF level 6
- NC Applied Science SQCF level 6
Year 1 - PDA
You will study the following core modules:
- Biotechnology: an introduction
- Cell biology: theory and laboratory skills
- Microbiology: theory and laboratory skills
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (structured)
- You will attend theory and practical classes on campus at UHI Perth, with additional learning material and resources available on the virtual learning environment (VLE)
How long will my course last?
- Part-time (structured): 6 months @ 10 hours per week
Number of hours per week indicates the total number of hours you should dedicate to the course, which includes time spent in lectures and your own time spent on individual study and research.
Where can I study my course?
For information on costs of this course please contact the campus where you wish to study.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant UHI partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed this course, you might like to consider careers in:
- Biological sciences
- Technical scientific support
Can I progress into further study?
You may be able to progress from PDA Modern Biological Technologies to the following courses:
- HNC Applied Sciences
- HND Applied Science
- BSc Bioscience
- BSc Environmental Science
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Modern Biological Technologies PDA
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.