What is special about this course?
This course offers an opportunity to gain a relevant qualification while working with individuals with Autistic Spectrum Disorder.
- You will develop your skills in identifying the nature and the spectrum of autism
- The course will allow you to demonstrate your understanding of the triad of impairments and implications for the provision of care
- You will have the opportunity to investigate issues surrounding consistency in work practice and develop an awareness of intervention strategies
For those already in relevant employment:
- Relevant SVQ level 3, the PDA can be studied alongside the SVQ level 3 for those who have not yet completed the VQ.
- HNC Social Care
- Professionals working in the health or social care sectors including psychologists, health visitors, general practitioners, nurses (including particularly community nurses), audiologists, paediatricians, dieticians, primary care team support, workers involved in health promotion and social workers with an interest in working with individuals with ASD will be considered on an individual basis.
Year 1 - PDA
You will complete 2 modules at SCQF level 7 and 2 units at SVQ 3 level. Including:
- Working with Autism
- Supporting Individuals with Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Supporting people with Specific Communication needs
- Plus an SVQ 3 unit from a limited range dependent on whether you are working with children or adults
How will I study my course?
- Part Time (Structured)
You will learn through online study, plus practice in a workplace setting. You will build a portfolio of evidence as well as undertaking an activity in the workplace to meet specified outcomes.
When applying you will select the college where you will enrol and receive support from your personal academic tutor face-to-face and/or via email, telephone or online.
How long will my course last?
Part time (structured): normally one year
Where can I study my course?
- Orkney College UHI
- Shetland College UHI
For information on costs of this course please contact the college at which you wish to study.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant university partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
You will already be working with people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders. This course will enhance your understanding about ASD and will ensure that people with ASD are properly supported by trained staff.
Can I progress into further study?
On successful completion there are progression routes available depending on your existing qualifications and career goals, for example: HNC Social Services or HNC Childhood Practice.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.