The university uses Office 365 for staff and student email.
On a university or college PC you can access this through the Outlook Client.
On your personal equipment you can access your email through a web browser for access anywhere with an internet connection, this is known as the Outlook Web App (OWA). Students are also entitled to download Office 365 for free with us.
If you are having access issues and have Avast installed, contact the UHI Servicedesk for configuration assistance.
We'vethe login process for the Outlook Web App (OWA). It now works the same way across multiple browsers, whether you are at home or on campus.
There are a number of guides and Instructions available for Office 365:
Videos (download WMV files)
- Manage All of Your Communications (17MB)
- Categories and Tasks (16MB)
- Rules (13MB)
- E-mail Groups (13.5MB)
- Calendar Sharing and Meetings (12MB)
- Calendar Basics (7MB)
- Auto Replies and E-mail Signatures (13MB)
- Search and Filter (11MB)
- Connect to Office Outlook (13.5MB)
- Office365 General Help
- Accessing a shared/delegated account (equivalent to proxying in GroupWise): Web Access Instructions, Outlook Client Instructions, Mac Instructions
- Attachments, Outlook Client
- Attachments, Web Access
- Calendar Use, Outlook Client
- Calendar Use, Web Access
- Contacts, Outlook Client
- Contacts, Web Access
- Email messages, Outlook Client
- Email messages, Web Access
- Getting Started with Outlook Web Access
- Getting Started with Outlook 2010 Client
- Help with Outlook 2010 Client
- Help with Outlook Web Access
- Junk Email handling, Outlook Web Access (opens a Microsoft link)
- Junk Email handling, Outlook Client (opens a Microsoft link)
- Microsoft Training for Outlook 2010 Client
- Setting up an automatic response (equivalent to a rule in GroupWise): Web Access Instructions, Outlook Instructions
- Recover email (this is a client process)
With thanks to Dundee University and the Microsoft teams for providing us with many of the original documents and links used here.
As the Outlook client effectively caches your data once it has been setup on your usual PC/Laptop/MAC device if you need to access your email from another device you will need to use the Web Access Client instead.
See a more extensive list of the differences between the Outlook app and the Web Access client.
|Activity||Outlook Client||Web Access Client|
|Access mail||Available to Staff and Students when logging on to a machine or via MyUHI||Access Instructions|
|Setup delegation to your Mail file (Proxy access)|| Windows Outlook Instructions
For shared generic accounts you will need to request access by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
|Access another users Mail file, shared or delegated (assuming rights have been setup – above)||Windows Outlook Instructions||Web Access Instructions|
|Setup delegation to your Calendar||Windows Outlook Instructions||Web Access Instructions|
|Access another users Calendar (assuming rights have been setup)||Windows Outlook Instructions||Web Access Instructions|
|Setup a shared folder||Helpdesk FAQ's|
|Access a shared folder (assuming rights have been setup)||Windows Outlook Instructions||TBC|
|Setup Contact Lists||Helpdesk FAQ's||Web Access Instructions|
|Setup a signature||Windows Outlook Instructions||Web Access Instructions|
|Setup Rules||Windows Outlook Instructions||Web Access Instructions|
|Schedule a meeting||Windows Outlook Instructions||Web Access Instructions|
|Create a Note||Windows Outlook Instructions|
|Create a Task||Windows Outlook Instructions||Web Access Instructions|
|Forward your email to another account||Windows Outlook Instructions||Web Access Instructions|
|Retract an email||Windows Outlook Instructions|
|Send a message that is over 25mb.||Please use the new UHI Drop box service for this.|
Access from other devices.
For information on supported Outlook Web App Browsers please check the Microsoft documentation.