The UHI Servicedesk is available to all university students and staff. We provide first line support for all queries and problems with any service provided by LIS as well as passing calls to local academic partner teams and 3rd party suppliers. Follow us on Twitter @uhiservicedesk for the latest updates on our services.
Monday to Friday - 08:00 to 17:00, on 01463 279150 or 150 from an internal telephone
Self service portal - helpdesk.uhi.ac.uk (only available through MyUHI or when logged into a UHI connected PC)
Out of Hours Servicedesk
The Out of Hours servicedesk is run in partnership with an external service partner. They are open at all times when UHI servicedesk is closed, including overnight, weekends and holiday periods. If the Out of Hours team cannot resolve your call first time, they will pass your request to the UHI servicedesk team for the next working day
Monday to Thursday – 17:00 to 08:00, please call 01463 279150 to access this service
Friday through to Monday – 17:00 to 08:00
Plus all university closure periods.
Student password resets
When you enrol online there is a consent statement that advises you that data is required to allow the out of hours servicedesk to reset student passwords. The out of hours service will be able to see data to verify your identity. Once you've been asked to enrol online you will be able to opt in/out of this through the UHI Records service. You should note that if you opt out then the out of hours service will not be able to reset your password.
The data that the service use to validate your identity is outlined on the consent form. This data is held within our systems and cannot be changed by the out of hours servicedesk. The agreement that we maintain between ourselves and the out of hours service ensures that they are bound by the same confidentiality and processing rules that the UHI servicedesk are bound by.
Video Conferencing Servicedesk
The VC Servicedesk provides support and advice for any issues you have may have with using the UHI Video Conferencing System.
Monday to Friday 08:00 – 17:00
Service at all other times is provided by the out of hours servicedesk team.
ICT Servicedesks at Academic Partner
Most Colleges within UHI also have local ICT servicedesks to provide on-site support. Please check with your local college for details of your local ICT Team.
For Campus Contact Details, click here
Log a call
Log a call
You can log a call to us in any of the ways noted below. When you call, we will need to know your username, the error/request, and the service name (as many have similar terminology). If you are contacting us about college based equipment we may also need to know the equipment reference number (usually on a sticker on the equipment), and your location (room reference/campus name).
UHI Servicedesk and Out of Hours Servicedesk
Phone (internal) – Ext 150
Phone (external) – 01463 279150
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Video Conferencing Servicedesk
Phone (internal) – Ext 155
Phone (external) – 01463 279155
Email – email@example.com
Click here for Webhelpdesk
Please note you can only log a call via the web if you are connect to a university networked computer or using MyUHI from your own computer.
Our servicedesk system has a self service portal that all staff and students are able to access with their usual UHI username and password.
From this portal you can log a servicedesk call, check current and old servicedesk calls and search our FAQs database. If you fancy giving it a try we've a video to help you know how to use it.
Self Service VC Booking Form guide is available from here and is the primary method of booking Video Conferences
What is remote assistance?
The service allows the UHI servicedesk team to connect directly to your computer to provide real time help with problems you might be experiencing. The team can view and control your desktop once connected. Files can also be transferred to your computer. The TeamViewer software creates a unique and temporary support session with an ID Number and password, which are only valid for the duration of the session. For peace of mind, everything the team does is visible to you at all times when connected.
Before you call UHI Servicedesk
- PC software must be Microsoft Windows 98 or later
- Mac software must be Mac OS X 10.2 or later
- You will need a phone with you at the computer you are working at
- Your computer must have a working network or broadband connection to the Internet
- Close all sensitive or confidential documents before the session starts
Step by Step guide
Call UHI servicedesk on 01463 279150 or internal 150
- Enter the code in the box below and click 'Get assistance'.
- The analyst will guide you to the Remote Assistance software at the Software Download Pages.
- Click on the Remote Assistance Link
- A pop up window will appear and Auto generate an ID Number and password
- The analyst will ask you for both of these numbers to establish a connection
- Your desktop background will change for the duration of the session
- The analyst will then work with you to resolve your issue
- At the end of the session, the analyst will disconnect and you can resume your work
Feedback on your experience
How was your experience with our Servicedesk team? Do you want to pass on positive comments or do you have a suggestion for improvement. No matter what you want to tell us, if it is the UHI Servicedesk or the Out of Hours Servicedesk, then get in touch
How do I give LIS feedback?
We like to hear from you when things go well and also when things don't go so well.
If you call UHI servicedesk or create a call with us, a link is sent to you in the call closure email which takes you to our LIS and ICT Survey. We look at all the feedback we receive to see if there are areas we can improve to deliver a better service. There is a survey link contained with the closure tickets sent to you when a ticket is closed. The survey is quick and easy to complete plus we enter every response into a montlhy prize draw.. If you've missed the closure email you can login to the servicedesk portal (usual username and password), click on the History Button, change the filter from 'All Active Calls' to 'Closed Calls' and take the survey from there.
Our Feedback Page can be used at any time to pass comment on any of the services provided by LIS. If your feedback relates to a specific ticket, please detail this in the form. A member of the customer service team will respond within 2 weeks by email or phone if you prefer to discuss the problem. Feedback can also be escalated to the customer service manager if you require further information or need to escalate a problem.
What we do
The servicedesk provided by UHI is here to help students and staff to make the best of the technical resouces available to you. We will help with ICT difficulties or faults which may arise in a timely manner, to reduce the disruption to you. We will analyse the requests received to help improve the service we offer and to shape future technology plans.
Our commitment to you
- we will always answer your call or email as quickly as we can
- we will provide friendly service at all times and treat you with respect
- we will aim to resolve your issue first time if possible
- we will pass your request to the correct specialist or local ICT team if the servicedesk team cannot resolve the call first time
- we will keep you updated through the tickets created so you know what progress has been made
- we will analyse tickets created to identify and resolve recurring problems
- we will accurately make note of the details of your problem and refer to any history if required
The servicedesk team is your first point of contact and they will know who to pass your request to if it cannot be resolved first time. The university has a full team of technology specialists to deal with more in-depth problems. We also work with external service providers to maintain some of our services to you as well.
We will allocate calls quickly and accurately to local College ICT teams if the problem cannot be dealt with by the university servicedesk
Step by Step process
- When you contact any UHI servicedesk, you will be asked for your username which will have been issued to you when you joined. This will be a student or staff ID
- A ticket will be created in our call logging system, called Webhelpdesk
- A unique reference number will be generated and communicated to you by an email to your @uhi.ac.uk email account
- If you are calling about a previous call, you will be asked some security questions to verify your identity as well as any previous ticket numbers
- The unique ticket number allows us to locate old calls and avoid duplication
- If the servicedesk cannot resolve the request first time, it will be given a priority according to the severity and urgency of the problem
- Your request will be passed to a specialist, local ICT team or service provider if the servicedesk team cannot resolve it first time
- You will receive email updates as to when your call is resolved or if further information is required from you
- Once a request has been resolved, it will be closed automatically 8 hours later but can be re-opened if the issue reoccurs
Your privacy when dealing with LIS
- Information held in our call logging system is defined as personal data by the Data protection Act 1998
- Information is held of the details of every request made to any UHI servicedesk. This includes any email correspondance sent to or from UHI in relation to the request
How we use this information
- To track request progress and monitor the time taken to deal with it
- Produce monthly statistics which are published by UHI for management and policy development purposes. These statistics will never include any personal data and are used solely to establish trends and fauly analysis
- Detailed solutions held within a closed request may be re-used for subsequent repeat requests but all personal data from the original request will have been removed
Who uses this information
- This information may be shared when neccessary and to facilitate members of staff within LIS to deal with requests made to UHI servicedesks.
- It may also be shared with Academic partners within UHI at a departmental or local ICT team level to deal with a request which has been made
- Data may also be shared where appropriate in circumstances, such as a customer has already invovled a 3rd party with the request initially
- Access to information held within the database is restriced to staff within LIS and UHI Academic Partners who also use the webhelpdesk system
If the information is incorrect
- If it becomes apparent that information held is inaccurate, it can be corrected by contacting servicedesk
- Any data changes made may be time stamped and held in a log of information recorded. This is not to show that data is neccesarily inaccurate but corrections have been made as per user request