Information on the OneDrive for students service which is available through the university's Office 365 package
OneDrive for students
OneDrive for students
OneDrive is provided to the university as part of our service. It is available to all students who have a '@uhi.ac.uk' email account. This service provides you with 1TB of cloud storage, with the ability to upload, share and access documents between and over a range of internet connected devices.
Important information about using this service
- Confidential or sensitive data should not be stored on OneDrive, as it stores your files in the cloud.
- This service is not backed up. If you accidentally delete a document it will be held in the OneDrive Recycle Bin for up to 3 weeks. So if a document is really important make sure you have a copy saved elsewhere.
- When you share information, make sure you know if you've shared the folder or the document. It is easy to see in OneDrive who has permissions on any folder or document.
- Although 1TB is a lot of space there are some additional technical restrictions imposed on file sizes.
- As with any of services, once you've logged into a college device and logged into the service, don't leave the workstation logged in and unattended. Remember to lock the workstation before walking away.
- This service should not be used for official coursework submission.
- If you've got a Windows account you may already have a OneDrive area, so Microsoft will use a generic name for the one we provide which is 'OneDrive for Business' or you may see 'OneDrive for Students' and 'OneDrive - university of the highlands and islands', these are all the same service.
- Once you leave the university you will lose access to this OneDrive, you should ensure you take a copy of any important files prior to completing your studies with us.
Accessing the service
To access the service you need to login to our Office365 service using your student email account (e.g. email@example.com) and your usual password.
Click on the top left hand menu bar (square made up of little squares ) and select OneDrive. When you first go to access this there may be a delay as the service activates your account.
You'll also get a question tick box "Let's get social". If you leave in the tick the service will include information in your newsfeed, we'd recommend you choose 'No thanks' at the moment and make changes to your newsfeed settings manually when you get used to the service.
Using the service
Microsoft have provided information on how to use OneDrive on their website.
When you store your files in the cloud, it’s easy to share them so that others can review or edit the content. Sharing files this way is much more efficient than attaching them to email messages.
OneDrive for Business also makes it easy to access your files from anywhere and from multiple devices, even when you’re not on the university network.
Have a look at Microsoft's help pages on using OneDrive