Dr Eddy Graham
Lews Castle College UHI
Isle of Lewis
tel: +44 (0) 1851 770331
mob: +44 (0) 7760 912536 (texts only)
Available to talk to the media about
- Climate change
In the following languagesEnglish, French, Gaelic (intermediate), German (intermediate)
Dr. Edward Graham (aka "Eddie" and “Eddy”) is lecturer at Lews Castle College UHI (Stornoway), teaching weather, climate and related environmental / science subjects. Eddie is a qualified meteorologist, having worked in a former life as an operational weather forecaster. He is also an active researcher, most recently using high resolution climate data in a study to find candidate mountain summits for a future astronomical observatory in Kenya.
Eddie holds a BA(Mod) in Natural Sciences (Trinity College Dublin), an MSc in Applied Meteorology (University of Reading), and a PhD (University of Bern, Switzerland). Over the years, Eddie has lived in Ireland, UK, Canada and Switzerland and he strongly encourages his students to travel widely, learn foreign languages and broaden their life experiences.
Eddie writes a regular weather column for the Stornoway Gazette newspaper, and is frequently quoted by the media during spells of extreme weather. He is often to be found on Twitter at @eddy_weather.
- Astronomical site selection and site testing for large telescopes
- Climate modelling reanalyses
- Clouds and water vapour
- Energy and sustainability
- Meso-scale meteorology
- Fellow of Royal Meteorological Society (contributor since 1993)
- Editor of Irish Meteorological Society.
- Past memberships of Climatological Observer's Link (COL), Canadian Oceanographic and Meteorological Society (CMOS), Tornado and Storm Research Organisation (TORRO), American Meteorological Society (AMS) and Irish Geographical Society (IGS)
- Member Royal Scottish Geographical Society
- Graham, E., Vaughan, R. and Buckley, D. (2015b) Search for an Astronomical Site in Kenya (SASKYA) update: Installation of on-site automatic meteorological stations. J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 595 012012. doi:10.1088/1742-6596/595/1/012012 http://iopscience.iop.org/1742-6596/595/1/012012/
- Graham, E. Vaughan, R., Buckley, D. A. H. and Tirima, K. (2015a) Search for an Astronomical Site in Kenya (SASKYA) using Climate Data, Theoretical and Applied Climatology (19 Mar 2015), 1-25. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00704-014-1366-x
- Koffi, E., Graham, E. and C. Mätzler (2013): The water vapour flux above Switzerland and its role in the August 2005 extreme precipitation and flooding. Meteorologische Zeitschrift, 22(3), 328-341. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/schweiz/mz/2013/00000022/00000003/art00007
- Graham, E., E. Koffi and C. Mätzler (2012): An observational study of air and water vapour convergence over the Alps & the development of isolated thunderstorms, Meteorologische Zeitschrift,21(6), 561-574 http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/schweiz/mz/2012/00000021/00000006/art00003?crawler=true
- Graham, E. (2012), A Hebridean frost hollow made visible, Weather, 67(2), 45-47 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wea.809/abstract
- Graham, E., Sarazin, M. And C. Matzler (2011), Using re-analysis model data (“FriOWL”) to analyse climate trends related to astroclimatology of Paranal and La Silla, Revista Mexicana de Astronomía y Astrofísica, 41, 12-15 http://www.astroscu.unam.mx/rmaa/RMxAC..41/PDF/RMxAC..41_egraham.pdf
- Graham, E., Matzler, C., Morland, J. and U. Germann (2006) Integrated water-vapour dynamics over Switzerland during severe precipitation in August 2005, Geophysical Research Abstracts, 8, 10764
- Graham, E. (2006a): The Mistral as seen by satellite, Weather, 61 (9), 267-268
- Sarazin, M., Graham, E. and Kurlandczyk, H. (2006) FRIOWL: A Site Selection Tool for the European Extremely Large Telescopes (E-ELT) Project, The Messenger, 125, September 2006, 44-47.
- Graham, E. (2006b): 200mm falls in Ireland, Weather, 61 (5), 151(1)
- Slonosky, V. and Graham, E. (2005) Canadian pressure observations and circulation variability: links to air temperature. International Journal of Climatology 25 (11), 1473-1492
- Graham, E., Sarazin, M., Beniston, M., Collet, C., Hayoz, M., Neun, M. and P. Casals (2005) Climate-based site selection for a Very Large Telescope using GIS techniques. Meteorological Applications, 12, 77-81
- Graham, E. (2004) The Emerald Isle turns white: Snow and very low surface temperatures over Ireland during Christmas 2000, Weather, 59 (1), 15-19
- Graham, E., Sarazin, M., Beniston, M., Collet, C., Hayoz, M., Neun, M. and Goyette, S. (2004): Site Selection for OWL using past, present and future climate information. Proceedings of the SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 5489 (4), 102-112
- Graham, E. (2002): Nacreous clouds in November 1999 and record low ozone, Weather, 57 (3), 107-108
- Graham, E. (1993): The urban heat island of Dublin city during the summer months, Irish Geography, 26, 43-57