Prof Stuart Gibb
Centre for Energy and Environment
Environmental Research Institute,
North Highland College UHI,
e: Stuart Gibb
t: +44 (0) 1847 889 581/661
f: +44 (0)1847 890 014
Available to talk to the media about
- Renewable energy and the environment
- Biotechnology and bioresourcesEmerging contaminants and ecotoxicology
- Climate change
- Ecology and ecosystems
Professor Stuart Gibb is currently Director of the Environmental Research Institute at North Highland College,UHI, in Thurso and is UHI’s leading professor in Environmental Sciences.
With interests in renewable energy and the environment, the green economy, biogeochemistry, environmental analytical chemistry and climate change, Professor Gibb is currently building a portfolio of research and associated activity addressing the contemporary environmental issues that affect the function of the natural environment.
In November 2010 Professor Gibb and his team were integral in the launch of the £4m Marine Renewable Energy and the Environment (MaREE) project which is designed to play a pivotal role in the development of the renewable energy sector in Scotland.
The project, which has created 18 new jobs, is funded by the university as a strategic delivery body for European Union regional development funds, the Scottish Funding Council and Highlands and Islands Enterprise. It aims to develop an integrated and holistic understanding of the environmental considerations surrounding marine renewable energy initiatives in Scotland.
He also recently oversaw the launch of the new £3 million Centre for Energy and the Environment at North Highland College, UHI, a facility which aims to boost international development of the green economy. Students, researchers, technicians and support staff will work from the new facility to explore the region’s marine energy resources and the environmental impact of schemes aiming to produce power from them.
Professor Gibb has also worked for the Plymouth Marine Laboratory, University of East Anglia and the British Antarctic Survey, including participation on national and international programmes in Antarctica, the Indian and Atlantic Oceans and the Mediterranean and Northern Seas.
He has also authored or co-authored more than 40 research publications and book chapters and boasts active collaborations with organisations across the UK, Europe, North America and Asia.
As well as holding Chartered Chemist and Chartered Scientist status, he is also a visiting Professor at the East China University of Science and Technology and a fellow of both the Royal Society of Chemistry and the Higher Education Academy.
- Renewable energy and the environment
- Biotechnology and bioresources
- Emerging contaminants and ecotoxicology
- Climate change
- Ecology and ecosystems
- Emerging environmental contaminants
- Phytoplankton chemotaxonomy
- Biogeochemical cycling
- Analytical environmental chemistry
- Novel solutions for water remediation and decontamination
- Marine renewable energy and the environment
- The `green` economy
- Shields, M.A., D.K. Woolf, E.P.M. Grist, S.A. Kerr, A.C. Jackson R.E. Harris, M.C Bell, R. Beharie, A. Want, E. Osalusi, S.W. Gibb and J. Side. (2011) Marine renewable energy: The ecological implications of altering the hydrodynamics of the marine environment. Ocean & Coastal Management. 54, 2-9.
- Coll J, Gibb SW,Price MF, McClatchey J, Harrison J. (2010) Developing site scale projections of climate change in the Scottish Highlands. Climate Research. 45, 71-85
- Shuguang Lu, Stuart W. Gibb. 2008. Copper removal from wastewater using spent-grain as biosorbent. Bioresource Technology. 99, 1509-1517
- Johnson MT, Sanders R, Avgoustidi V, Lucas MI, Brown L, Hansell D, Moore CM, Gibb SW, Liss PS, Jickells TD. (2007) Ammonium accumulation during a silicate limited diatom bloom indicates the potential for ammonia emission events. Marine Chemistry. 106, 63-75.
- Carolina Nebot, Stuart W. Gibb and Kenneth G. Boyd. (2007) Quantification of human pharmaceuticals in water samples by high performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Analytica Chimica Acta. 598, pp 87-94
- Shuguang Lu, Stuart W. Gibb and Emma Cochrane. (2007) Effective removal of zinc ions from aqueous solutions using crab carapace biosorbent. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 149 (1), 208-21
- E. L. Cochrane, S. Lu, S. W. Gibb and I. Villaescusa. (2006) A comparison of low-cost biosorbents and commercial sorbents for the removal of copper from aqueous media. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 137 (1), 198-206
- McDougall KE, Gibb SW, Boyd KG, Brown BE. (2006) 'Chlorophyll-like' compounds as novel biomarkers of stress in corals. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 35, 137-144
- John Coll, Stuart W. Gibb, John Harrison. (2006) Upland climate change impacts - towards improved site-scle assessments for land use managers. In: M.F. Price (ed). 2006. Global Change in Mountain Regions. Dumfries. Sapiens Publishing. 273-275
- Naqvi SWA, Bange HW, Gibb SW, Goyet C, Hatton AD, Upstill-Goddard RC. (2005) Biogeochemical ocean-atmosphere transfers in the Arabian Sea. Progress in Oceanography. 65, 116-144.
- John Coll, Stuart W. Gibb and John Harrison. (2005) Modelling future climate change in the Scottish Highlands - an approach integrating local climatic variables and climate model outputs. In: D.B.A. Thomson, M.F. Price and C.A. Galbraith (Eds). (2005) The Mountains of Europe: Conservation and Management, People and Nature. HMSO. Edinburgh. 103-10
- Woolf, D.K., J. Coll, S. Gibb and P.G. Challenor. (2004) Sensitivity of ferry services to the Western Isles of Scotland to changes in wave climate. In: Proceedings of OMAE’04, 23rd International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, ASME.
- Gibb SW, Hatton AD. (2004) The occurrence and distribution of trimethylamine-N-oxide in Antarctic coastal waters. Marine Chemistry 91, 65-75.
- I.B. Rae and S.W. Gibb. (2003) Removal of metals from aqueous solutions using natural chitinous materials. Water Science & Technology. 47:10, 189-196
- Steinke M, Malin G, Gibb SW, Burkill PH. (2002) Vertical and temporal variability of DMSP lyase activity in a coccolithophorid bloom in the northern North Sea. Deep Sea Research II. 49, 3001-3016.
- Brown BE, Downs CA, Dunne RP, Gibb SW. (2002) Exploring the basis of thermotolerance in the reef coral Goniastrea aspera. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 242, 119-129
- Brown BE, Downs CA, Dunne RP, Gibb SW. (2002) Preliminary evidence for tissue retraction as a factor in photoprotection of corals incapable of xanthophyll cycling J. Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 277:2, 129-144
- Joint I, and 27 authors including Gibb SW. (2001) Pelagic production at the Celtic Sea shelf break. Deep Sea Research II. 48, 3049-3081.
- Gibb SW, Barlow RG, Cummings DG, Mantoura RFC, Irigoien X. (2001) Pigment chemotaxonomy of the northeastern Atlantic. Deep Sea Research II. 48, 795-823.
- Carole A. Llewellyn and Stuart W. Gibb. 2000. Intra-class variability in the carbon, pigment and biomineral content of prymnesiophytes and diatoms. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 193, 33-44
- Brown, BE, Dunne, RP, Warner, ME, Ambarsari, I, Fitt, WK, Gibb, SW, Cummings, DG. (2000) Damage and recovery of Photosystem II during a manipulative field experiment on solar bleaching in the coral Goniastrea aspera. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 195, 117-124
- Anning T, MacIntyre HL, Pratt SM, Sammes PJ, Gibb S, Geider RJ. (2000) Photoacclimation in the marine diatom Skeletonema costatum. Limnology and Oceanography. 45:8, 1807-1817
- S.W. Gibb, R.G. Barlow, D.G. Cummings, N.W. Rees, C.C. Trees, P. Holligan, D. Suggett. (2000) Surface phytoplankton pigment distributions in the Atlantic Ocean: An assessment of basin scale variability between 50°N and 50°S. Progress in Oceanography. 45:3-4, 339-368
- Stuart W. Gibb. (2000) Ammonia. In: Leo M. Nollet (ed). (2000) Handbook of Water Analysis. Marcel Dekker. New York. 223 – 260
- J.M.Baker, C.E.Reeves, S.A.Penkett, P.D.Nightingale, S.W. Gibb and A. D. Hatton. (1999) Biological Production of Methyl Bromide in the Coastal Waters of the North Sea and Open Ocean of the Northeast Atlantic. Marine Chemistry, 64:4, 267-285
- Colomban de Vargas, Richard Norris, Louisette Zaninetti, Stuart W. Gibb, Jan Pawlowski. (1999) Molecular Evidence of Cryptic Speciation in Planktonic Foraminifers and their Relation to oceanic Provinces. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 96:6, 2864-2868
- Brown BE, Ambarsari I, Warner ME, Fitt WK, Dunne RP, Gibb SW and Cummings DG. (1999) Diurnal changes in photochemical efficiency and xanthophyll concentrations in shallow water reef corals: evidence for photoinhibition and photoprotection. Coral Reefs. 18,99-105
- Angela D. Hatton and Stuart W. Gibb. (1999) A novel technique for the determination of Trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO) in natural waters, and biological media. Analytical Chemistry, 71, 4886-4891
- S.W. Gibb, P.S. Liss and R.F C. Mantoura. (1999) Ocean - atmosphere exchange and atmospheric speciation of methylamines and ammonia in the NW Arabian Sea.
Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 13:1, 161-178
- S.W. Gibb, R.F.C. Mantoura, P.S. Liss and R.G. Barlow. (1999) Distributions and Biogeochemistries of Methylamines and Ammonium in the Arabian Sea.
Deep Sea Research II. 40:3-4, 593-616