NAFC Marine Centre UHI
e: Rachel Shucksmith
t: +44 (0)1595 772492
Available to talk to the media about
- Marine spatial planning
- marine governance
- coastal zone management
- marine planning
- data useage
- data assessment
- marine policy
- fisheries mapping
- stakeholder engagement
- marine licensing
- biosecruity planning
In the following languages
Rachel has extensive experience of marine spatial planning, policy development, marine licencing, spatial data collection, data assessment and mapping, socioeconomic assessment and stakeholder engagement. Rachel manages the development of the Shetland Islands’ marine spatial plan, widely regarded to be one of the most advanced marine spatial plans in Europe. Rachel has published and presented her research at a number of international conferences, workshops and journals. Rachel is a member of the ICES Working Group Coastal zone management and Marine Spatial Planning, ICES Cultural Ecosystem Services Expert Working Group and MASTS Marine Spatial Planning Steering Group.
Rachel oversees the development of a range of research areas to inform effective marine management, marine spatial planning and effective marine governence. These include marine mapping, biosecruty planning and invasive species monitoring, cumulative effect assessment and predictive habitat mapping.
ICES Working Group Coastal zone management and Marine Spatial Planning
ICES Cultural Ecosystem Services Expert Working Group
MASTS Marine Spatial Planning Steering Group
- Shelmerdine RL, Shucksmith RJ (2015) Understanding the effect of scale and resolution on predictive habitat maps ICES ASM Copenhagen September 2015
- Collin SB, Tweddle JF, Shucksmith RJ (2015) Rapid assessment of marine non-native species in the Shetland Islands, Scotland. BioInvasions Records 4(3) 147-155
- Collin SB, MacIver K, Shucksmith RJ (2015) A Biosecurity Plan for the Shetland Islands. NAFC Marine Centre
- Shucksmith R, Shelmerdine RL (2015) A risk based approach to non-native species management and biosecurity planning. Marine Policy 59,32-43
- Kelly C, Gray L, Shucksmith RJ, Tweddle JF (2014) Investigating options on how to address cumulative impacts in marine spatial planning. Oceans and Coastal Management 102, 139-148
- NAFC Marine Centre (2014) Shetland Islands’ Marine Spatial Plan 4th Edition. pp 196
- Shucksmith RJ, Kelly, C (2014). Data collection and mapping- principles, processes and application in marine spatial planning. Marine Policy 50, 27-33
- Shucksmith RJ, Gray L, Kelly C, Tweddle, JF (2014). Regional Marine Spatial Planning- the data collection and mapping process. Marine Policy 50, 1-9
- Tweddle JF, Gray L, Kelly C, Shucksmith, R (2014). Developing Regional Locational Guidance for wave and tidal energy in the Shetland Islands. Marine Policy 50, 53-66
- Kelly C, Gray L, Shucksmith R, Tweddle JF (2014) Review and evaluation of marine spatial planning in the Shetland Islands. Marine Policy 46: 152-160
- Shucksmith R, MacIver, K, Shelmerdine, R (2014) Identifying and assessing vectors for the dispersal of invasive species in the Shetland Islands. Science for new regulation, Ghent, 2 April.
- Shucksmith R, Gray L, Kelly C, Marengo I, Tweddle J. (2013) Shetland Marine Spatial Plan: Developing spatial guidance for renewables. ICES ASC Reykjavik, 23-27 September.
- Shucksmith R (2013) Cultural Ecosystem Service – the Shetland experience. ICES Cultural Ecosystem Services Workshop, Geesthacht, 17-21 June.
- Kelly C, Gray L, Shucksmith R and Tweddle J. (2012) Shetland Marine Spatial Plan: An ecosystem-based approach in formulating marine policy and management options. ICES CRR
- NAFC Marine Centre/ Poseidon (2013) Shetland case study - Socio-economic dimensions in EU fisheries. EC Commissioned Report.
- ICES (2013) Report of the joint HZG/LOICZ/ICES workshop: Mapping cultural dimensions of marine ecosystem services (WKCES), 17-21 June 2013, Helmholtz Zentrum Geesthacht, Germany. ICES CM 2013/SSGHIE:07.
- Gray LF, Kelly C, Shucksmith R, Leslie B, Tweddle JF (2012). Mapping Fishing Intensity in the Yell Sound Area and its Interactions with a Potential Pipeline Development. A report to Xodus Group by the NAFC Marine Centre.