Viking Culture Summer Schools in Orkney
Jul 09, 2012 09:00 AM
Jul 13, 2012 05:00 PM
|Where||Centre for Nordic Studies, Kirkwall|
|Contact Name||Centre for Nordic Studies|
|Contact Phone||01856 569300|
|Add event to calendar||
This summer programme will take you to the Orkney Islands of Rousay and Egilsay, and to the mythical Maeshowe chambered tomb. Lec- tures and fieldtrips will follow the themes be- low:
- Viking Voyages: Dr. Donna Heddle from the Centre for Nordic Studies guides us to the Vi- kings’ voyages, navigation and ship building techniques. The field trip visits a Viking har- bour.
- Viking Society: Norse pre-Christian religion and conversion, their law and administrative organisation. We visit the seat of the Earl of Orkney and cult site of St Magnus.
- Everyday life: What did the Vikings wear, how did they live, what did they eat? We explore practical life in the Viking age with a hands-on approach and opportunities to taste.
- Saga day: Day trip to the islands of Rousay and Egilsay, where we visit pivotal sites from the Orkneyinga Saga while learning about the literature of the Norse people.
- Runes day: Make your own runic inscription while learning about the ancient writing of the Vikings. The field trip visits Maeshowe cham- bered tomb, containing Britain’s largest assem- blage of runic inscriptions.
Cost: £400 per week / £250 for local island residents