Health and Welfare
Specific expertise in this area of Aquaculture includes:
- Sea-lice bioassays
- Innovation trials related to sea-lice control
- Cleaner fish breeding and husbandry optimisation trials in association with commercial companies.
- SAICHatch project is a collaboration between SAMS UHI, NAFC Marine Centre UHI, Stirling University, Marine Science Scotland and the Scottish Shellfish Marketing Group. Replicated trials will be undertaken to optimize hatchery cultivation of blue mussels with particular emphasis on larval development and nutrition, spat settlement, bacteriology, sea-transfer and subsequent performance at sea. This research will also help support the Stepping Stone Shellfish Hatchery project being undertaken by the NAFC Marine Centre and the Scottish Shellfish Marketing Group
- Understanding the mechanisms of fish diseases through Proteomics and Lipodomics. Particularly the mediators of inflammatory responses.
- Measurement of inflammatory lipid mediators (derived from the polyunsaturated fatty acids, arachidonic acid, EPA and DHA)
- Characterisation and quantification of proteins and peptide biomarkers of infection