Options with a Postgraduate Qualification
Studying for a postgraduate qualification gives you:
- High level specialist knowledge and skills
- A higher level qualification
Once you have graduated from your qualification you may find work where either your skills or your qualification are beneficial.
Depending on the nature of your qualification different options may be open to you. Some postgraduate qualifications are highly vocational in nature and may lead to specific careers (e.g. the postgraduate diploma in education). Other courses may give you a specific skill set or knowledge base - e.g. management skills or knowledge in Highlands and Islands Culture and this may guide the kind of work you look for.
For some Masters students, and many PhD students the development of specialist research skills and a specialist knowledge base means that the following are popular options:
- 'Academic' careers: lecturing and research
- Specialist posts: consultancy and advice
However, it is worth remembering that lots of postgraduate students go on to enter graduate jobs and training schemes as well. In these cases your qualification may be higher than that required for the job, but as competition for these posts can be very high, holding a higher level qualification may help to put you ahead of the competition.
You can find out more about your options from the following sources:
- Our database of case studies which contains information about what previous postgraduate students from the university went on to do.
- "Your Masters, what next?' information from Prospects
- 'Your PhD, what next?' information from Prospects.
- The Vitae 'Researcher careers' pages - particularly relevant for PhD students.
Often postgraduate student have advanced specialist knowledge and connections. This means that many students find work through their networks and contacts. Further information about how to maximize your networking potential is given on the networking pages of our website.
- Careers and Employability Centre Advice Sheet: Options with a postgraduate qualification
- You can find out what other postgraduate students went on to do on the case studies pages.
- The networking pages give details of how to make the most of your networks.
- The job search pages give details of where to look for work.