Sporting Blues highlight the outstanding sporting achievements of UHI students. These prestigious awards are presented to sportsmen and women who attain an exceptionally high standard of performance in their sport. The University and #TeamHISA is incredibly proud of all the phenomenal students at UHI, who manage to balance studying while representing their university, playing at Scottish and British University level with some even representing their country at international level. Sporting Blues are how we hope to recognise the huge sporting talent at UHI and we need YOU to let us know who those students are!
The UHI Sporting Blues awards scheme was launched in March 2017 and recognises the sporting achievements of our regional students. The awards scheme - which is a joint initiative between the university and HISA - was proven to be very successful in gaining candidates in both its first three years, being awarded to eighteen winners last year. This year, we are looking for even more nominations from all the UHI athletes out there to ensure they are recognised for their amazing achievements! We would like to urge staff to nominate outstanding students as well as influencing students to either nominate themselves or fellow athletes.
We would like to urge staff to nominate outstanding students as well as influencing students to either nominate themselves or fellow athletes. The nominations will be live from the 1st of April until the 31st of May - so help celebrate our talented students!
What are the Sporting Blues?
- Colours - to receive a Colour, athletes, where applicable, need to serve and play for their club and to be regular 1st team members, representing the team in at least 65% of the eligible matches, recording at least one victory.
- Half Blues - awarded to athletes for playing well above the average standard for a University 1st team (where applicable) or represent the University as an individual in national level competition.
- Full Blues - awarded to athletes of outstanding ability judged by standards applicable to students’ different sports.
- Sports Person of the Year - this is an award for truly exceptional athletes, the panel will decide annually whether to award it, with the decision following the same criteria as that for a Full Blue
- Honorary Blue - awarded to athletes that have won medals at World Championships, World Cups, Commonwealth Games, Olympic Games or equivalent relevant to their sport. The award may also be made to a person connected with UHI with an outstanding contribution to University, Scottish, British or world sport.
Who are the Sporting Blues open to?
- Individual athletes, who compete on their own
- Individual athletes, who compete as part of a team
- 1st April - nominations open
- 31st May - nominations close
Please read our Sporting Blues criteria 2020.
Winners will be announced in the summer, and awards presented at graduation