Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES)
The Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey of taught postgraduates runs in semester 2 at
the University of the Highlands and Islands.
The Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey is a national survey, co-ordinated by the national body for improving teaching and learning in Universities, the Higher Education Academy. It is carried out by the University early in semester 2.
The survey is the chance for taught postgraduates to feedback their experiences on teaching and learning. We need to know what postgraduates think so we can address issues and keep doing what is valued. It is an opportunity to say what went well and what could have been improved.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is PTES be carried out?
The survey is carried out by Student Services and the questionnaire hosted online by Bristol Online Surveys. In semester 2 all taught postgraduate students will receive an email from Bristol Online Surveys asking them to complete the survey.
Any students not completing the survey within the first couple of weeks will receive further reminders.
What is asked?
The survey questions are broken down into the following areas:
- The experience of teaching and learning, including: staff, learning materials, working with other students, workload, and feeding back on experience;
- Assessment and feedback, including supervisor support for dissertation or major project;
- Organisation and management, including induction and involvement in course decisions;
- Resources and services, including learning resources and overall support;
- Skills development, including independent learning, research skills and career skills;
- Motivation for taking the programme and information provided by the institution to help course choice;
- Demographic details, including on previous education and fluency in English.
Students are encouraged to take an overview of the whole course and have an opportunity to comment after each section, as well as at the end of the questionnaire.
What if students don't want to take part?
We strongly encourage students to fill it in as soon as possible because their experience and views are very important. However, it is not compulsory.
How will I see the results?
The results of institutions aggregated together are published by the HEA. Detailed results will be available to staff by Student Services and disseminated by Autumn. National PTES results may be found on the Higher Education Academy website.
For more information please contact email@example.com