Accessing learner support


Support at your campus

There is a student support contact at every university Academic Partner who can provide access to a range of services. Learner support available at campuses includes:

  • Pre-entry guidance
  • Provision of general advice and information
  • Submission of Disabled Students’ Allowance claims for non-medical personal helpers and/or assistive technology
  • Assessing academic support needs
  • Assessing alternative assessment arrangements
  • Help with assessment for dyslexia
  • Help in organising personal support (e.g. note takers)
  • Liaison with external agencies, where appropriate
  • Help with arranging learning support
  • Access to, and demonstrations of, specialist software and equipment
  • Arranging appropriate access to campus buildings/parking/facilities.

The university's Assistive Technology page may be useful.

Disabled Students’ Allowance

The university is validated by the Scottish Government to conduct needs assessments for our students wishing to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). If you think you may be eligible to claim DSA, a member of support services staff at your partner college will be pleased to discuss this with you. Further information is also available from the university's own DSA page.

Dyslexia sticker scheme

The university runs a dyslexia sticker scheme to ensure that the work of diagnosed students is assessed in a way which neither penalises nor compensates for dyslexic attributes. If you think you might be eligible to use the sticker scheme, you should contact student support services staff at your Home Academic Partner. Further information is also available from the university’s dyslexia guidance page.

Recording of Taught Sessions

Students with disclosed disabilities and additional support needs typically have an agreed Personal Learning Support Plan (PLSP) in place.

Section 3 of the university's Recording of Taught Sessions Policy permits recordings of taught sessions to be made in cases where this intervention has been specifically recommended as a reasonable adjustment within the student’s agreed PLSP, unless there are justifiable reasons why this might not be possible in an individual situation.