Sometimes we just need to talk to someone we can trust. UHI is committed to listening to you and to working with you to develop constructive ways forward. Talk to someone, don't try to go it alone!

By visiting Thinking About Therapy? you will find more information on counselling and therapy.  This useful website provides guidance on what therapy is and how it can help you; how to find a therapist and what to expect from a session, along with a host of other beneficial resources.

People who can help

  • Contact Student Support at the college where you are enrolled. They will be able to either offer confidential counselling or where the college does not have a counselling service, access to an external counsellor and other local help.
  • Your Personal Academic Tutor may be the person you go to first. If he or she doesn't have all the answers they will be able to put you in contact with the right people to help.
  • If you study at a Learning Centre you might talk to the Learning Centre staff who will be able to put you in touch with the Student Support Team at your enrolling college or who may know of other local services which might help.
  • You might choose to go to your GP.

Please read our Privacy Notice for further information on how your data will be handled by the university counselling service.

National and local helplines

We have compiled a list of other support helplines.

Need immediate help now?

If you are feeling distressed, in a state of despair, suicidal or need emotional support right now contact Samaritans on 116 123, for free. Your call will be confidential and will be taken by a trained Samaritans volunteer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you are ill and feel it can't wait until you can see your GP you can call NHS 24 on 111.

If you think you need an emergency ambulance you should dial 999.