The St Andrews' Society of New York State Scholarship Fund
Would you like the opportunity to study in the USA?
For the academic year 2021-22, the St Andrews’ Society will offer Scholarships to the total value of $70,000 to enable Scottish graduates to study for a year in the United States. Up to two Scholarships will be offered of up to $35,000 each.
Preference will be given to candidates who have no previous experience of the United States and for whom a period of study there can be expected to be a life-changing experience. Selection will be on the basis of an all-round assessment, including character, experience and academic achievement.
Find out more about the .
- Candidates must be Scottish by birth or descent, and will be expected to have current knowledge of Scotland and Scottish current affairs, and of the Scottish tradition generally. The Society expects its scholars to be good ambassadors for Scotland.
- Candidates must also be:
- either graduates of a Scottish university who have completed their first degree course (so as to be qualified to graduate) not earlier than 2020
- or students of a Scottish university who expect to complete their first degree course (so as to be qualified to graduate) in 2021.
- The Scholarship will be tenable from August 2021 to May 2022 at a university in the United States within a radius of 250 miles from New York City, or within the area of Washington DC.
- The monetary value of each Scholarship will be applied in the first instance to payment of tuition fees.
- It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure they have fully researched the total likely cost of studying in their chosen university, as well as the cost of travel and accommodation. Neither the Society nor the Carnegie Trust can offer further financial assistance beyond the amount of the Scholarship.
- Candidates are strongly advised to apply to more than one university. In previous years highly qualified candidates have failed to gain a place at the university of their choice, and have then found it difficult or impossible to find a place elsewhere.
- Applicants are advised that, once they have been accepted by an American university, a deposit will need to be paid to secure the place offered. The payment of the deposit may be required BEFORE the final outcome of the selection process for the scholarships is known.
- Scholars are expected to send to the Society at least two informal written reports, one in the first semester and the other in the second, addressing their personal and educational experiences during their time in the United States.
- Candidates will be informed by end of March 2021 at the latest whether they have been selected for interview.
Download the application form.
Download the referee statement form.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications for this fund are currently closed
To see how the Carnegie Trust will use your data, please read their Data Protection information.