Information for EU/EEA applicants and students

Make sure you have the most recent information.

The policy environment relating to Brexit is fast-moving, particularly in relation to a possible no-deal outcome. Given the continuing uncertainty, students and staff are advised to check relevant websites regularly for updated advice and guidance.

The University of the Highlands and Islands continues to welcome applicants and students from the European Union and beyond.

We are pleased to confirm that the guarantee already in place from the Scottish Government for eligible EU students enrolling in the 2018-19 academic year to access tuition fee support for the duration of their higher education studies in Scotland will be extended to those beginning their studies in the 2019-20 academic year. This means that eligible EU students will continue to have access to free tuition from the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS). SAAS will assess applications against existing eligibility criteria, and will provide funding in the normal way.

SAAS will assess applications against existing eligibility criteria, and will provide funding in the normal way. These students will be eligible to apply for funding from SAAS for the duration of their course.

Further information about eligibility, funding and how to apply.

For clarification, the UK government has confirmed that there has been no change to the right of EU/EEA nationals to reside in the UK and therefore no change to the circumstances in which someone could be removed from the UK as a result of the UK referendum to leave the EU (Brexit) and triggering of Article 50.

However, we would like to remind EU/EEA applicants and students that it is a requirement that you and any dependants living with you while you are studying the UK have comprehensive sickness insurance (CIS). This requirement can be met by obtaining the free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from your home country. Find out how to apply for an EHIC from your country.

An EHIC allows patients to access NHS services for urgent and immediately necessary treatment in much the same way as a UK resident, with the costs being recovered from the patients home State. However some exceptions exist for non-urgent elective or expensive discretionary treatments which will need to be paid for in advance of treatment. Some dental or optical treatment and pharmacy medicines prescribed by the doctor may also need to be paid for.

If you are not entitled to an EHIC card or you can't renew it to cover the rest of your time studying in the UK, you should check if you are covered by a reciprocal agreement - you will need the documentation to prove it.

If you are not covered by either an EHIC card or a reciprocal agreement, you are advised to buy comprehensive private health insurance cover. The university is unable to recommend any particular policies, but the Home Office guidance states that the policy must cover you (and your family members in the UK, if applicable) for the majority of risks while you are in the UK.

Note: the definition of comprehensive sickness insurance does not include cash-back health schemes, or travel insurance policies.

You are not required to have CSI if you are working in the UK as well as studying. However, work you're doing must be considered to be "genuine and effective" and not "marginal" or "supplementary". Find out more at