Research postgraduate tuition fees
2021/22 student fees content
2021/22 student fees
- The annual tuition fee is applied to all research degree programmes for all years within the standard period of study for the degree.
- Tuition fees will increase annually in line with inflation.
- Additional programme costs, sometimes referred to as ‘bench fees’, may be set locally by the student’s registered academic partner for some or all years of standard registration. Where these apply, applicants should be notified of this fee as part of the initial application process and the fee will be confirmed in the offer letter.
Postgraduate research fees
|Full Time||Part Time|
|1 August 2021 registration onwards
|1 Aug 2012 – 30 July 2021 registration
|Pre 1 Aug 2012 registration
|Home (UK) science and arts subject areas||£4,500||£2,250||£2,700||£2,250|
|International arts subject areas||£12,383||£6,192||£7,430||n/a|
|International science subject areas||£15,570||£7,785||£9,342||n/a|
Other charges payable by research students
|Description||First registered from 2021-22 onwards||First registered before 2021-22|
|PhD thesis pending registration||50% of relevant full-time or part-time research tuition fee||Option not available|
|Continuation Fee||Option not available||£120|
|Extension fee||25% of relevant full-time or part-time research tuition fee||Option not available|
|Reinstatement||Option not available||£1200|
|Thesis resubmission (re-assessment)||£250||£150|
|Termination of registration||See refunds section of Fees Policy||See refunds section of|
Separate charges may be made for the following:
- transcripts or letters of certification
- replacement degree certificates (which are issued only in exceptional circumstances)
- replacement student identity cards
The Graduate School can supply further information on request.