What is special about this course?
This Professional Development Award will provide you with the underpinning knowledge and skills required to work in a personal training setting. The delivery of personal training services has several essential definitive features; respecting the client’s life experience, recognising the client and personal trainer as partners; providing services based on clients' preferences and choices; and it should be inclusive, promote self-determination and be based on person-centred planning.
This PDA would be suitable as continued professional development (CPD) for those currently employed or working as personal trainers who are looking to refresh and up-skill.
- On successful completion, you may be eligible to apply to enter the Register of Exercise Professionals (REP) at Level 3 therefore better preparing you for employment in the industry.
- You will have the opportunity to make use of our sport and fitness facilities on campus
The award is designed to complement the HNC/D in Fitness, Health and Exercise.
However if you do not have the HNC/D, you can still apply. You should have good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral. These could be evidenced either by the achievement of nationally recognised qualifications such as:
- SQA qualifications (or their equivalent from other awarding bodies) eg English/ Communication or other language-based subjects to a minimum of SCQF Level 5.
- SVQ at Level 2 in a related area, such as Instructing Exercise and Fitness
or by other methods such as:
- Process of application and interview
- Current relevant evidence from the workplace, such as reference from employer
To gain access to the Register of Exercise Professionals at level 3 on completion of the PDA, applicants must already have an HNC/D Fitness, Health and Exercise including the unit H4TK34: Plan, Teach and Evaluate a Gym Based Exercise Session.
Year 1 - PDA
The PDA has five mandatory units (32 SCQF credits in total):
- Core strength and posture
- Deliver personal training sessions
- Metabolic considerations for personal trainers
- Planning and management of personal training
- Working effectively and safely with clients
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
- Part-time (evening) for January start at Inverness College UHI
You will study through a combination of practical work in a gym, theory classes, online learning, group and individual self-directed study.
How long will my course last?
The length of your study will depend very much on your previous experience and qualifications, we will work with you to build up a learning plan that will suit your individual needs.
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness College UHI
- Moray College UHI
- Perth College UHI
- January (Inverness College UHI)
For students normally domiciled in Scotland or the European Union/EEA (outside of the UK) and with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
The full PDA is 32 SCQF (Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework) credits. Fees are shown below by SCQF credit. See the course content page for details of the individual units available:
|Part-time (SCQF credit)||£10.75||£10.75|
*The Scotland/EU fee rate is set by the Scottish Government and will be confirmed by March 2020.
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) or are assessed for fee status as rest of the UK (RUK):
|Part-time (SCQF credit)||£56||tbc|
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
For students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union or are assessed for fee status as international (INT) the following fees apply:
|Part-time (SCQF credit)||£57||tbc|
Note: this course is not eligible for Tier 4 sponsored international students.
Students may be eligible to apply for a Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) Part-time Fee Grant to cover some of the tuition fee cost.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed this course, you might like to consider careers, either employed or in self-employment, in personal training and gym instruction.
Can I progress into further study?
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.