Medical Administration PDA
Course code 91NP
What is special about this course?
This professional development award is aimed at those either already working in a medical administration role or with administrative experience and aims to further develop knowledge and experience gained from the workplace.
This award will develop the competencies required to carry out administrative roles, at intermediate / senior level, within medical administration posts meeting the needs of both private and public sector organisations.
- Communication and ICT Core Skills at level 5 minimum
- Experience in an administrative role
- Applicants will attend an interview, either face-to-face or by telephone
Year 1 - PDA
Mandatory units are:
- IT in business - word processing and presentation applications (2 HN credits)
- Medical terminology for administration staff (2 HN credits)
- Hospital patient administration (1 HN credit) and/or GP medical administration (1 HN credit)
You will also choose three option units which may include:
- Legal protection of NHS Scotland patient data (1 HN credit)
- Creating a culture of customer care (1 HN credit)
- IT in business - spreadsheets (1 HN credit)
- IT in business - databases (1 HN credit)
- Work placement (1 HN credit) or Employment experience 1 (1 HN credit)
How will I study my course?
- Part time (unstructured)
You will study through a combination of face-to-face lectures in the classroom and online learning via the university's virtual learning environment (VLE).
How long will my course last?
Duration is flexible. Each units is approximately 40 hours of study.
Where can I study my course?
- Outer Hebrides
For information on costs of this course please contact the campus where you wish to study.
External scholarships and financial support, such as an Individual Training Account, may be available. Please contact the relevant UHI partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Administration role in GP practice, hospital or business.
Can I progress into further study?
You can progress from the PDA award to complete the full HNC Administration and Information Management
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Medical Administration PDA
Please note that UHI North Highland, UHI Outer Hebrides and UHI West Highland will be changing their names to become UHI North, West and Hebrides in August 2023, subject to Scottish Government approval. This will not impact on your choice of course or how and where you will study.
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.