It's important to plan how you will finance your studies well in advance of starting your course.

Funding sources available to you depend, in the first instance, on where you come from, but also include funding for disabled students and part-time students.

You may also find it useful to consider budgeting, to make sure your funds last until the end of term. It's good to get prepared early and you can find some useful tips about student money here; 10 Things to Remember to Budget For

Undergraduate Students from Scotland

Residents of Scotland studying on undergraduate programmes in Scotland normally have their fees paid by the Students Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). SAAS also provides access to student loans and a range of other support – Young Students' Bursary, Independent Students' Bursary, Additional Loan and Supplementary Grants.

Read the SAAS Funding Guide for 2019-20 to find out more about eligibility criteria for funding support.

If you are applying to start, or continue, studying in the 2019-20 session you should submit your application for funding before the end of June 2019, so it will be processed for the beginning of your studies.

Nursing Students

You can find details of the specific funding available to Nursing and Midwifery students here.

Students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland content

Students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland

If you are classed as being ordinarily resident in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, you will be required to pay tuition fees for each year of your course. In 2019-20 Scottish institutions are allowed to charge these students for tuition fees.  The fees set by UHI can be found here.

You will be entitled to take out an additional student loan to cover tuition costs, and this will be repaid, along with any other student loans, once you have graduated.  The amount you pay back depends upon the date you started your studies.  Please visit Student Finance England, Student Finance NI, or Student Finance Wales for further information on what you would pay back.

Students from EU/EEA and non EU/EEA states content

Students from EU/EEA and non EU/EEA states

If you are from an EU state and if your main reason for coming to Scotland is to study, SAAS will pay your tuition fees only.

If you are from a country outside the EU/EEA it is likely that you will be classed as an international student and will have to pay international student fees. You can also contact SAAS to find out if you are eligible for any funding.

Disabled students content

Disabled students

You may be eligible for a Disabled Students Allowance from SAAS, who will need to confirm that you have a place on a course that they support and that you are eligible for support from SAAS. For more information please see DSA notes on funding for disabled students allowance.

If you have a disability or need additional support please contact the UHI college or research institution where you plan to/are enrolled as soon as you can where you will be able to discuss your needs and find expert help to enable you to access the right funding and support for you.  For further information please visit Disability Matters.

Funding for part-time students content

Funding for part-time students

ITA (Individual Training Account)

You can get up to £200 towards the cost of a training course with an SDS Individual Training Account (ITA) (it replaces the ILA200 Individual Learner Account).

You could use the money to build the skills you need for a job. Or get some training to take your career to the next level. Whatever you want to do, there is a wide range of ITA approved courses on offer.

And because it's not a loan you don't have to pay it back.

Taught postgraduate funding options (Scotland) content

Taught postgraduate funding options (Scotland)

Funded places

The university has a limited number of funded places available for full-time, Scottish or EU fee status students. These places are funded by the European Social Fund and Scottish Funding Council as part of Developing Scotland’s Workforce in the Scotland 2014-2020 European Structural and Investment Fund Programmes.


Eligible Scotland domiciled students studying full time for any taught postgraduate course up to full Masters level can access loans up to 10,000 from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). This comprises a tuition fee loan up to £5,500 and a non-income assessed living cost loan of £4,500. EU students studying full time can apply for a tuition fee loan up to £5500.

Part-time students undertaking any taught postgraduate course over two years up to Masters level who meet the residency eligibility can apply for a for a tuition fee loan up to £2,750 per year.

Full details can be found on the SAAS website. Applications for loans open in April.

Students from the rest of the UK who meet the eligibility requirements may be able to apply for a loan from the Student Loan Company.

Postgraduate loans - Masters & Doctoral (England) content

Postgraduate loans - Masters & Doctoral (England)


Since 1st August 2016, if you start a full-time or part-time master’s course you can apply for a Postgraduate Masters Loan. You'll be able to borrow up to £10,609 to pay your fees and help with living costs.

Please note that postgraduate funding is considered to be a devolved matter for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and so these loans are only available for students resident in England.

You'll be eligible if you:

  • are under 60
  • ordinarily live in England
  • don’t already have a Master’s degree or higher qualification

It won't depend on personal or family income. Find out more about PG Loans for Masters (England).


Since 1st August 2018, if you are starting a doctoral degree you could get a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan of up to £25,000 to help with course fees and living costs.

It won't depend on personal or family income. Find out more about PG Loans for Doctoral (England).

Scholarships and bursaries content

Scholarships and bursaries

Various scholarships, discretionary funds and bursaries are available to our students throughout the academic year.