Business and Administration (SCQF level 8) SVQ
Course code 92N2
What is special about this course?
If you are working in a business environment at a supervisory level and would like to develop your team-working and problem-solving skills to progress your career, then the SVQ 4 Business and Administration will help you achieve this.
The course is an exciting way to gain a high-level qualification while working and developing work-based knowledge and skills at a supervisory or management level.
- Learn vital, work-based skills at supervisory or management level
- Supported online learning with tutor support which means you can fit your studies around your personal and professional commitments
- Choose from a large range of optional modules to fit your specific job specifications
- You should be working in a business and administration environment
- No formal qualifications are required, however you must have been working at supervisory/management level for at least two years
- Entry will be considered on the basis of complexity of work product, knowledge and responsibility
- You may be required to attend an interview
Year 1 - SVQ
The core modules are:
- Manage and be accountable for your own performance in a business environment
- Manage work in a business environment
- Manage communications in a business environment
You will also choose from a wide range of option modules in areas including:
- Analyse and report data
- Assist in improving organisational performance
- Communicate information and knowledge
- Customer service
- Decision making
- Design, manage and evaluate information systems
- Engage internal audiences
- Evaluate and solve business problems
- Implement, monitor and maintain administrative services
- Implement, monitor and review change
- Manage budgets
- Manage physical resources
- Operational planning
- Propose and design administrative services
- Provide healthy, safe, secure and productive working environments and practices
- Team working
How will I study my course?
- You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE)
- Part-time, work-based
- You will be required to build an online portfolio by gathering a range of relevant work-based evidence and written work for chosen units to meet the national standards. The online portfolio can be accessed from home, work or library: wherever you have an internet connection. Assessors will also visit you in your workplace to carry out observations
How long will my course last?
- Part-time: 18 months
Where can I study my course?
- Orkney College UHI
- Shetland UHI
- Other start dates may be available at our Shetland UHI campus. For further information and how to apply for them, please contact Shetland UHI
For information on costs of this course please contact the college at which you wish to study.
Funding can be available for candidates aged 16-19 who are in full-time employment from Skills Development Scotland. Further information on application.
You may be eligible for an ITA Scotland (Individual Training Account), which can help cover this cost. Please visit Skills Development Scotland for more information and apply as soon as possible to ensure your ITA Scotland funding is through in time to start the course.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant university partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Successful completion of this course will help you to progress your career in administrative, business or management-related areas.
Can I progress into further study?
Once you have successfully completed the course, you may consider studying SVQ Management SCQF Level 9.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Business and Administration (SCQF level 8) SVQ
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.