Social Services (Children and Young People) (SCQF level 9) SVQ
Course code 9L52
What is special about this course?
This SVQ Social Services (Children and Young People) SCQF Level 9 award is required by managers of care settings as a second qualification for registration with the Scottish Social Services Council, or for managers who do not already possess a health and social care qualification. This includes care settings such as care homes, residential care or care at home services for children and young people.
- You will achieve a nationally recognised qualification
- You will become more aware of and have the opportunity to enhance your own management skills
- The award is a requirement for SSSC registration for managers and those working in care management with children and young people
- Candidates must have SVQ Level 3 and be working in a management position
- For information on the SVQ 3 Social Services and Health Care SCQF level 7, please contact the college at which you wish to study
Year 1 - SVQ
Mandatory subjects include:
- Continuing professional development of self and others
- Develop and maintain healthy and safe practices in the workplace
- Promote and maintain effective systems for communication
- Promote the well-being and protection of children and young people
You will also study four optional units.
How will I study my course?
- You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE)
- Part-time (structured)
- This course is work-based
- You will be assessed in the workplace and will be allocated an assessor
How long will my course last?
- Part-time: 18 months
Where can I study my course?
- Argyll College UHI
- North Highland College UHI
- Orkney College UHI - June start only - use JAN/FEB link to apply
- Shetland UHI
- Other start dates may be available in some locations. For information on other start dates and how to apply for them, please contact the campus you wish to study with.
For information on costs of this course please contact the college at which you wish to study.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant university partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
The SVQ will be studied by students as part of ongoing continuing professional development (CPD) requirements for managers.
Can I progress into further study?
Following successful completion of the SVQ, you may wish to consider applying to one of the university degree programmes, such as BA (Hons) Child and Youth Studies.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Social Services (Children and Young People) (SCQF level 9) SVQ
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.