Equality and diversity reporting
The University of the Highlands and Islands is committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination in all aspects of its work and study.
We accept our obligations to fulfil the statutory requirements relating to equality and diversity and will take steps to :
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advance equality of opportunity between people from different groups
- Foster good relations between people from different groups, tackling prejudice and promoting understanding
Being locally based, regional in structure and having national and international reach, we want to act as a force for economic, social and cultural change across our region as well as meeting the needs of individual learners.
Our approach to equality and diversity therefore needs to be regional as well as local in perspective and our Equality Outcomes have to take account of parity of experience and outcome in very different contexts: from city-based campuses to remote, rural learning centres and from students in large classes to individuals studying online.
Demonstrating a significant step forward in how the university will manage and enhance operations and strategy in relation to equalities, we have :
- re-constituted a lead role for the university in equality and diversity and the new post of Equality Outcomes Adviser
- recently established the Equality Outcomes Group and the Equalities Practitioner Network