Court is responsible for the overall strategic direction and governance of the university.
Its many powers and duties are detailed in the university's articles of association. The court can delegate some responsibilities to individuals, committees or groups. Court is also referred to as the board of governors.
Court consists of up to 20 members, including students, academic and support staff, representatives from our sponsor universities and a majority of independent members. The group elects its chair and vice-chair from the independent members. You can download and read the approved minutes of the court.
The Scottish Higher Education Code of Governance requires university courts to assess the effectiveness of their chair and members, how they operate collectively and how effective their committees are on an annual basis.
In 2014 the Post-16 Education (Scotland) Act made Court accountable for college and university level education in the Highlands and Islands. The Act made Court the Regional Strategic Body (RSB) with overarching responsibility for the planning and delivery of further education provision in the Highlands and Islands region via its network of assigned colleges. (The university was already responsible for higher education.) At the same time the eight colleges of Inverness, Lews Castle, Moray, North Highland, Orkney, Perth, Shetland and West Highland were designated as assigned colleges. Argyll College was subsequently assigned on 1 January 2019. Regional Strategic Body Self-Evaluation
Court member expenses
- Court Member Expenses 2019-20 Q1 (pdf)
- Court Member Expenses 2019-20 Q2 (pdf)
- Court Member Expenses 2019-20 Q3 (pdf)
- Court Member Expenses 2020-21 Q1 (pdf)
- Court Member Expenses 2019-20 Q4 (pdf)
- Court member expenses 2017-18 Q1 & Q2 (pdf)
- Court member expenses 2017-18 Q3 (pdf)
- Court member expenses 2017-18 Q4 (pdf)
- Court member expenses 2018-19 Q1 (pdf)
- Court member expenses 2018-19 Q2 (pdf)
- Court member expenses 2018-19 Q3 (pdf)
- Court member expenses 2018-19 Q4 (pdf)
Court meeting dates
- 17 March 2021
- 16 June 2021
- 22 September 2021
- 24 November 2021
- 16 March 2022
- 15 June 2022
Roger Sendall, Head of Governance and Records Management