What is special about this course?
The BEng (Hons) Electrical and Mechanical Engineering has been designed to meet the demand from employers for engineers who have a wide knowledge and skills base covering a range of engineering disciplines, including a sound understanding of relevant technologies and current industry practices.
On completion of the degree you will have acquired advanced levels of competence in engineering and technology, including mechanical, electrical, electronic and management skills, making you highly sought after in the job market.
The broad-based nature of this course will give you many of the necessary skills and competencies required by a range of industries, including the renewable energies sector.
You will also benefit from the strong links established with engineering companies across the Highlands and Islands and from the industry-related project work you will undertake.
- You will undertake major industry-related projects to showcase your expertise in solving engineering problems to prospective employers
- You will study emerging technology, making you highly employable for the future
- You will also develop relevant key employability skills such as problem solving, critical thinking, and communication and interpersonal skills
- You can study full-time or part-time to suit your personal and professional circumstances
- You can exit at each level with a valuable qualification
For September 2019, entry to this course is only available into year 2, via an HNC Engineering Systems with a pass in Engineering Mathematics 2.
Direct entry to year 3:
- Completion of the HND Engineering Systems may allow advanced entry to year three of the degree. For 2019 entry, you will study the modules from our ordinary degree, the BEng Electrical and Mechanical Engineering; see the course 'Content' tab for details. To make an application please use the ‘Apply’ tab and indicate year three entry on your application
Successful completion of the Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) Access to engineering or Access to physical science from Edinburgh College. Other relevant National Certificates (SCQF level 6) and Higher National Certificates (SCQF level 7) will be considered on an individual basis.
Year 1 - CertHE
Modules may include:
- Science for engineers 1
- Electrical and electronics 1
- Practical skills 1
- Thermodynamics and fluids 1
- Statics and dynamics 1
- Core maths 1
Year 2 - DipHE
Modules may include:
- Practical skills 2
- Statics and dynamics 2
- Electrical 2
- Core maths 2
- Thermodynamics and fluids 2, or electronics 2
- Engineering business skills 2
Year 3 - BEng
Modules may include:
- Project and project management 3, or work based initiative 3
- Electrical 3, or electronics 3
- Statics and dynamics 3
- Electro-mechanical drives, or reverse engineering 3
- Control and instrumentation 3
Year 4 - BEng (Hons)
Modules may include:
- Project and project management 4
- Electrical 4, or electronics 4
- Statics and dynamics 4
- Control and instrumentation 4
You will also choose an option module which may include:
- Wind energy
- Future energy systems
- Design for quality and reliability
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
- This programme will be delivered through a unique blend of learning and teaching. A variety of media will be used to give an enriched and varied student experience, such as short video learning clips available to be played on computers and mobile devices at a time that suits you. These can be replayed as many times as needed. You will also access specialist staff learning sessions, using integrated e-learning software similar to Skype, and will have local staff face-to-face learning sessions for remedial, tutorial, practical and lab work
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 4 years
- Part-time (structured): 8 years
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness College UHI
- Moray College UHI - Years two, three and four only
- North Highland College UHI
- January (part-time)
For students normally domiciled in Scotland or the European Union/EEA (outside of the UK) and with a term time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time (120 credit modules) per year||£1,820||£1,820|
|Part-time (structured) (3 x 20 credit modules) per year||£645||£645|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 20 credit module)||£215||£215|
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) and with a term time address in Scotland studying this course full time, the following fees apply:
**4th year free only for students studying full-time who have paid for the previous 3 years at the University of the Highlands and Islands.
Part-time (per 20 credit module) - £1,500 (2018-19 and 2019-20).
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
There are a number of funding options available to UK and EU students to help you pay for your studies and your cost of living whilst studying.
For students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union and with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time per year (120 credit modules) per year||£12,200||£12,800|
|Part-time (structured) (3 x 20 credit modules) per year**||£6,100||£6,420|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 20 credit module)**||£2,034||£2,140|
**There is no part-time study option for Tier 4 sponsored international. students.
Further information on international course fees.
A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time RUK and International undergraduate students for continuous and contiguous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant university partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed your BEng (Hons) Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, you will be ready to compete effectively for a range of jobs within the engineering sector such as:
- Engineer in energy/renewable energy sector
- Design/maintenance position in offshore industry
- Design/maintenance position in manufacturing industries
- Project engineer in a wide range of industries
- Engineering manager in a wide range of industries
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.