An Cùrsa Adhartais (English) CertHE
UCAS code Q501
Information line 01463 279190
What is special about this course?
The An Cùrsa Adhartais Certificate offers you the opportunity to develop your confidence in all aspects of communication skills in Gaelic. It will provide you with a solid foundation for further study through the medium of Gaelic and improve your prospects in securing employment in the Gaelic sector.
The course is delivered by online distance learning and is equivalent to the first year of the Gaelic and Related Studies degree course. The course covers the language points contained within An Cùrsa Comais and uses the same teaching and learning methodologies as An Cùrsa Inntrigidh.
- This course incorporates innovative language learning methods
- It will help prime you for good career opportunities within the Gaelic sector
- Opportunity to attend an optional Weekend School to meet and speak Gaelic with your fellow students
- You will study online part time, which means you can fit your studies around your personal and professional commitments
- 2 Scottish Highers at grade C or above OR
- 1 A level at grade C or above
- These should preferably include Gaelic at grade B or above
- You will be required to attend an interview to assess your Gaelic language skills
- Applicants with other qualifications or experience will b considered on an individual basis
- Note: as this course is part-time online, it is not open to international students wishing to come to the UK to study who require a Student Route visa
- An Cùrsa Inntrigidh
Year 1 - CertHE
- Language modules 1 – 6
- Subject modules 7- 8 (to be completed consecutively)
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
- You will study this course online via the university’s virtual learning environment (VLE), with support from tutors at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI
- This method of study will be supplemented with audio conference lectures and tutorials
How long will my course last?
- Part-time: 2 years
Where can I study my course?
- Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI
For students normally domiciled in Scotland or the European Union/EEA (outside of the UK) and with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Part-time (structured) (4 x 15 credit modules) per year||£645||£645|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 15 credit module)||£161||£161|
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland, including Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Part-time (structured) (4 x 15 credit modules) per year||£3,360||£3,360|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 15 credit module)||£840||£840|
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
There are a number of funding options available to UK and EU students to help you pay for your studies and your cost of living while studying.
This course is not available for international students requiring Student Route visa sponsorship to study in the UK. For students living in the UK and assessed as international fee status, the following fees will apply:
|Part-time (structured) (4 x 15 credit modules) per year||£3,360||£3,510|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 15 credit module)||£855||£877|
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed the An Cùrsa Adhartais Certificate, you might like to consider pursuing a career in:
- Gaelic development
- Gaelic administrative work
- Gaelic degree work
Can I progress into further study?
The CertHE An Cùrsa Adhartais allows progression to the following courses:
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for An Cùrsa Adhartais (English) CertHE
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.