Professional Pastry (SCQF level 7) PDA
Course code 94N8
What is special about this course?
With a growing spotlight on baking and patisserie, via tv shows like the Great British Bake Off and outstanding local talents such as award-winning patissier and chocolatier, William Curley, there is a growing demand for experienced professionals to bring their skills to the kitchen.
This PDA Professional Pastry (SCQF level 7) has been designed to support continuing professional development for individuals in professional kitchens and to help address the well-documented and ongoing skill shortages for highly skilled chefs and pastry chefs. It is suitable for learners who:
- have relevant experience in the industry but no formal qualifications
- wish to develop knowledge and skills in new areas to enhance career progression
- have partly completed a relevant HNC/HND and want recognition for the units they have successfully completed.
Many chefs in the sector have been promoted to positions of Chefs or Sous Chefs on the basis of their experience but without qualifications. This PDA will allow you to gain practical and specialist skills at a high level, along with certification for the level of work that you are performing.
- Achieve a Level 7 qualification in one semester
- Blended delivery including face-to-face practical classes and online theory
- Intermediate Food Hygiene unit included
- Develop a high level of professional Patisserie skills
- 1 Scottish Higher at Grade C or above OR
- 1 A Level at Grade D or above
- Alternatively, current or prior experience as a chef in a professional kitchen (centres may wish to apply a diagnostic practical skills test to establish the current level of skill of learners)
- A relevant SVQ at SCQF level 5 or above, eg SVQ 2 Professional Cookery
- National Certificate in Professional Cookery at SCQF level 5 or 6
- Different combinations of relevant National or Vocational qualifications and equivalent qualifications from other awarding bodies
- You may be invited to attend an interview
Year 1 - PDA
Modules will include:
- Fermented patisserie
- Food hygiene intermediate
- Production cookery: sweets and desserts
How will I study my course?
- You will learn through a combination of face to face practical lessons learning in the college restaurant and kitchen. In addition there will be video-conference tutorials, and online study via the university's virtual learning environment (VLE), with support from your tutors.
How long will my course last?
- Part-time: 6 months @ 12 hours per week
Number of hours per week indicates the total number of hours you should dedicate to the course, which includes time spent in lectures and your own time spent on individual study and research.
Where can I study my course?
For information on costs of this course please contact the campus where you wish to study.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant UHI partner college for more information.
Students may be required to purchase Chef Whites for relevant practical sessions (approx £30).
What can I do on completion of my course?
On completion of your course you might like to consider Pastry Chef or Supervisory Kitchen positions in:
- Industrial catering
- Residential homes
Can I progress into further study?
You may wish to progress from PDA Professional Pastry (SCQF Level 7) to the following courses:
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Professional Pastry (SCQF level 7) PDA
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.