Health Leadership and Management PgCert
Course code N215
What is special about this course?
Developing effective leadership skills and capacity is central to improving organisational success and enhancing the quality of service delivery within the NHS. This innovative and flexible programme is designed to address the leadership challenge facing the NHS. It is aimed at those who wish to take on a more proactive leadership role within their workplace and affect positive change.
The programme is designed to enhance individual knowledge, skills and understanding that will support the development and application of more effective personal leadership approaches. It will seek to challenge ideas and pre-conceptions about what leadership means both to the individual and to their world of work. Indeed, a better understanding of ourselves, and what is going on around us, are both fundamental qualities of effective leadership and management.
An online induction is held in early September and mid-January each year (depending on your start date) which will introduce you to the online learning environment.
- This postgraduate course has been designed specifically for supervisors, managers, aspiring managers and senior executives working in the health service
- You will study part time and online which means that you can fit your studies around your busy working life
- You can study individual modules for continuing professional development (CPD)
- 2:2 honours degree or above in any subject
- Other degree classifications will be considered with appropriate professional experience
- Candidates with no formal qualifications, who can demonstrate a capability and engagement in appropriate CPD, will be considered on an individual basis
- Students should normally be in paid or voluntary employment and able to draw upon work experience in order to complete assessments
Core modules are:
- Leading the contemporary workforce
- Collaborative leadership
- Information decision making
How will I study my course?
- You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE)
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
- You will also be supported by expert staff at the university's Management School
How long will my course last?
- Part-time (structured): 12 months
- Part-time (unstructured): 18 months
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness College UHI
For students normally domiciled in Scotland, with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
• EU nationals with settled or pre-settled status in the UK,
• EEA/Swiss nationals with settled status in the UK
• EEA/Swiss nationals with pre-settled status who are self-employed or migrant workers in the UK.
|Per module (20 credits)||£560||£560|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£1,680||£1,680|
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) studying online from home, or assessed as rest of the UK for fee status, the following fees apply:
|Per module (20 credits)||£650||£650|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£1,950||£1,950|
EU/EEA and Swiss nationals without settled or pre-settled status in the UK
Following the UK’s departure from the European Union, the Scottish Government has confirmed that EU/EEA and Swiss nationals starting their study in Scotland from academic year 2021-22, who do not have settled or pre-settled status, will be considered as international for fee purposes. For 2021-22, students will get an automatic fee scholarship.
This includes EEA/Swiss nationals with pre-settled status who are not self-employed or migrant workers in the UK.
|Per module (20 credits)||£980||£730|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£2940||£2,190|
For students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union, studying online from their home country, or assessed as international for fee status, the following fees apply:
|Per module (20 credits)||£980||£980|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£2940||£2940|
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
This course is not available for international students requiring Student Route visa sponsorship to study in the UK.
A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time rest of the UK, EU and international postgraduate students for continuous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed the PgCert in Health Leadership and Management you will have developed the skills necessary to work in a senior management / leadership position in the health service.
Our experience to date suggests that candidates also take on a range of projects, tasks and activities, which develop and broaden their range of skills to enhance their medium- and long-term career prospects.
With improved confidence you will be better equipped to make decisions at senior level, feel comfortable taking part in high level meetings and have increased motivation.
Can I progress into further study?
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
What our students, graduates and staff say
My background is primarily in the private and third sector, with no public/healthcare experience, and to allow progression in my current role I required a formal postgraduate qualification with a focus on health leadership. Having looked extensively at health management courses, this was the only course that was open to both ‘aspiring managers’ and those already in management positions.
Kate Macdonald, PgCert Health Leadership and Management graduate and Business Manager (Nurse Directorate), NHS Ayrshire and Arran
Apply for Health Leadership and Management PgCert
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.