What is special about this course?
Are you interested in influencing or effecting changes that will lead to better outcomes for patients or users of health and social care services? Do you wish to encourage quality improvement across your organisation? If you would like to be a future quality improvement leader then this PgCert Healthcare Quality Improvement will be of interest to you.
There is increasing interest across the world in innovative approaches to improving quality, and reducing waste, harm and variation in both the public and private sector. Despite a decrease in mortality from cancer, heart disease and stroke, and an associated increased life expectancy, there is a growing demand for health and social care services. There is therefore an urgent need to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of health and social care services to ensure they meet the current and predicted future needs of the population.
This programme, developed through a collaboration with the University of the Highlands and Islands and NHS Highland through the Highlands and Islands Improvement Institute**, will give you the opportunity to learn quality improvement methods and approaches. You will combine the practical application of several quality improvement methods, including the Model for Improvement, Lean, and Patient Safety approaches, with a deep theoretical understanding that can be applied to a wide range of health and social care contexts. The course includes an emphasis on the critical analysis of improvement methods and the use of quality improvement tools and techniques, to address waste, harm and variation in the health and social care system. It also reviews person-centred quality care including principles, key drivers and the impact of human interactions on adverse events.
The course is open to a wide range of individuals including nurses, doctors, allied health professionals, care workers, health care scientists, health care managers and administrators, facilities and estates staff. It is also suitable for people working in health and social care settings in charities or the independent sector, and who have an interest in, or responsibility for, quality improvement.
- The course is delivered part time, online, which means you can fit your studies around your work and personal commitments
- Developed and taught in collaboration with a team of healthcare professionals, academic and industry experts
- You will develop a toolbox of techniques that can be applied to a wide range of health and social care contexts
- You will have the opportunity to meet fellow students and tutors by attending the annual university postgraduate induction weekend in Inverness, Scotland, usually held early September. This is a one and a half day event and we strongly recommend that all new students attend.
- You can study individual modules for personal or professional development, or work towards the full PgCert
- Successful completion of this programme will allow you to progress on to our MA Health and Wellbeing
** The newly developed (2017) Highlands and Islands Improvement Institute (HI³) by the University of the Highlands and Islands and NHS Highland, brings together health and social services, academic and commercial partners with an interest in quality improvement, improvement science and innovation. To find out more about the work of HI³ visit their website.
- 2:1 honours degree, or equivalent, OR
- Postgraduate diploma award or a professional qualification recognised as being equivalent to an honours degree
- Applicants with a 2:2 honours degree or below, an ordinary degree or DipHE in a relevant subject, plus relevant professional experience may also be considered
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and/or Accreditation of Prior Certificated Learning (APCL) may also be claimed
- All students should be in employment and/or engaged in voluntary activities
Bursaries may be available for NHS Highland staff who enrol on the PgCert programme: see Fees/Funding tab for more information.
You will study the following modules:
- Introduction to Lean quality improvement in health and social care
- Lean is a quality improvement approach that developed in industry and is now widely used in service industries and in health care. This module aims to increase your job competencies and develop professional potential by improving skills and understanding of Lean methods in quality improvement. You will also develop your knowledge of quality improvement definitions and principles, as well as key policy drivers, and the impact that management and supervisory practices have on the conduct of quality improvement.
- Improvement science: enhancing quality in health and social care
- This module aims to contribute to the development of a cadre of effective improvement leaders who focus on the centrality of person-centredness to quality care; essential within the broad health and social care professions. It includes review of the application of the Model for Improvement in health care environments.
- Introduction to patient safety in integrated health and social care environments
- This module aims to increase your job competencies and develop professional potential by improving skills and understanding in patient safety. You will also develop your knowledge of patient safety definition and principles as well as key policy drivers and the impact human interactions have on the reduction of adverse events.
How will I study my course?
- You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE)
- Part-time (unstructured)
- Your lectures, tutorials and other materials will be accessible via the university's virtual learning environment (VLE). Online seminars will be arranged for set times
- You will receive regular support from your tutors and peers through online discussions and email. Telephone support can be available by arrangement
- Modules are normally studied in order, one per semester, taking 18 months to complete the award of PgCert Healthcare Quality Improvement
- Assessment is varied and includes discussion board contributions and reflections, case study assignments and reports
- Travel and accommodation costs for the induction weekend
How long will my course last?
- Part-time (unstructured): 18 months
Where can I study my course?
- Lews Castle College UHI - You will apply to, and be supported by, Lews Castle College UHI
The following fees apply to this taught postgraduate course:
|Rest of UK|
|Per module (20 credits)||£560||£650||£960|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£1,680||£1,950||£2,880|
|Postgraduate diploma (6 modules, 120 credits)||£3,360||£3,900||£5,760|
|Masters degree (6 modules + dissertation)||£5,000||£5,850||£8,640|
|Rest of UK|
|Per module (20 credits)||£560||£650||£900|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£1,680||£1,950||£2,700|
|Postgraduate diploma (6 modules, 120 credits)||£3,360||£3,900||£5,400|
|Masters degree (6 modules + dissertation)||£5,000||£5,850||£8,120|
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
Enquiries from employers for multiple student registrations are welcome and special fee arrangements may apply.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant university partner college for more information.
NHS Highland staff are able to receive a bursary from NHS Highland as follows:
- 80% discount on the normal fee of £560 for the 20 credit module: Introduction to lean quality improvement in health and social care
- 50% discount on the normal fee of £560 for the 20 credit module: Improvement science: enhancing quality in health and social care
- 20% discount on the normal fee of £560 for the 20 credit module: Introduction to patient safety in integrated health and social care environments
What can I do on completion of my course?
Successful completion of the PgCert Healthcare Quality Improvement will lead to enhanced employment opportunities.
Can I progress into further study?
Successful students may wish to progress on to a masters level qualification such as our MA Health and Wellbeing.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.